Collect Spores: How to Gather + Grow Mushrooms

• Thread starter Cinimod
  • Start date
In summary, spores are used for identification of mushrooms and can be gathered by creating spore prints on a suitable surface such as a glass plate or aluminum foil. It is important to wear a dust mask while working with spores, especially for those who are allergic to fungi.
Cinimod
I've recently been reading lots of stuff on fungus relates organisms, and from what I gather, they reproduce by producing spores. I was wondering, what is the most efficient way of gathering these spores? I only ask, because I am considering starting a mushroom colony as a hobby (and if I get into it, I might be able to grow my own to eat, you never know) :P.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Spores are often used in identification of mushrooms. Spore prints are typically taken on a suitable surface. You could try this on a glass plate. Just place your mushroom, gill or pore side down, onto the plate and leave overnight. You will find a scattering of spores on the plate and find they are pretty small.

If you aim is to keep them around for awhile, you might want to allow the spores to fall onto a flexible, low-friction surface; such as aluminum foil or waxed paper. Then just fold the sheet and tap the spores into a collection container. If you are allergic to fungi, as I am, you may want to avoid this whole project :biggrin: or at least wear a dust mask while working with the spores.

Ouabache said:
If you are allergic to fungi, as I am, you may want to avoid this whole project :biggrin: or at least wear a dust mask while working with the spores.

lol, let's hope that I'm not. Thank you for all the information, I might make some spore prints when I get going if it's that easy to do.

Related to Collect Spores: How to Gather + Grow Mushrooms

What is the purpose of collecting spores?

The purpose of collecting spores is to grow new mushrooms. Spores are the reproductive cells of mushrooms and by collecting and growing them, you can create a new batch of mushrooms.

How do I collect spores from mushrooms?

To collect spores from mushrooms, you can place a mature mushroom cap on a piece of paper or glass and cover it with a bowl. As the mushroom releases its spores, they will fall onto the paper or glass. You can then use these spores to grow new mushrooms.

What materials do I need to grow mushrooms from spores?

You will need a growing medium (such as sawdust or straw), a container, a source of water, and spores from a mature mushroom. You may also need a sterile environment and proper lighting depending on the type of mushrooms you are trying to grow.

How long does it take to grow mushrooms from spores?

The time it takes to grow mushrooms from spores can vary depending on the type of mushroom and growing conditions. Some mushrooms can take as little as a few weeks, while others may take several months to grow.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when growing mushrooms from spores?

Some common mistakes to avoid when growing mushrooms from spores include using contaminated spores or growing medium, not providing enough moisture or proper lighting, and not maintaining a sterile environment. It is important to research the specific needs of the type of mushroom you are trying to grow and follow proper growing techniques to ensure successful growth.