Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College Loan Repayment Optimization Pt.1

Tags:
  1. Jun 5, 2014 #1
    My Goal: to find what fraction of my monthly payment should go to each loan. The ideal outcome would be to pay the debt as fast as possible.
    I have several loans, but for now, I want to start with a simple exercise of one loan that accrues monthly interest and one fixed monthly payment for that loan.

Please see attachment.

At this point, if everything is correct, I'm not sure what to do with the plot of the Laplace Transform.
    I know that there is a point in time where the loan is payed off, but how can I figure that out from the plot in the s-plane.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      34.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Your attachment doesn't work.

4. Jun 6, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the attachment here refers to the sheet shown in the thumbnail. Try clicking on the thumbnail.

5. Jun 13, 2014 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

pay the most on the one with the highest interest, all others minimal until that one is paid, then shift the rest of the money to the remaining one with the highest interest....

6. Jun 14, 2014 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

A note on reality - student loans in the USA , "nelnet". I helped a friend by making payments on her students loans and found that mailing in the form they have for paying loans and designating what amount goes to each loan doesn't work. I desingated payments to pay off high interest loans. Instead they used the funds to make partial payments on several loans that had various interest rates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook