Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Colli Albani Volcanic District - recent activity

1. Jul 16, 2016 #1

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Colli Albani (Alban Hills) is located 20 km (12 mi) southeast of Rome and about 24 kilometres (15 mi) north of Anzio. It has been considered a quiescent volcanic complex - until recently.

An ancient volcano on the outskirts of Rome is showing signs of another enormous eruption – some time in the next 1,000 years or so, say scientists.
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...s-a-massive-volcano-near-Rome-rumbles-to-life
    http://blogs.agu.org/geospace/2016/07/12/dormant-volcano-near-rome-waking/

Assessing the volcanic hazard for Rome: 40Ar/39Ar and In-SAR constraints on the most recent eruptive activity and present-day uplift at Colli Albani Volcanic District
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2016GL069518/full?campaign=wlytk-41855.6211458333

It's important to pay attention to local geology, particularly volcanoes and major seismic zones. Be prepared and know what to do in the event of an eruption or strong earthquake.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2016 #2

fresh_42

I'm a little bit more afraid about the US pacific coast, esp. in OR. A big one including a tsunami is overdue. And there are nuclear power plants not far from the coast (as far as I remember). I have similar concerns about Yellowstone, the Phlegraean Fields and the Cumbre Vieja on La Palma. If there is a major eruption near Rome, will this affect the hotspot at Napoli (120 mi)?

Is there a list of deviation times from the mean value of eruptions?

4. Jul 16, 2016 #3

1oldman2

Gold Member

5. Jul 16, 2016 #4

1oldman2

Gold Member

Sorry about that weird last post either my browser is getting buggy or the site is, not sure which.:frown:
    (Edit) maybe 349 of 350 mb's of cache being full had something to do with the problem,

6. Jul 16, 2016 #5

1oldman2

Gold Member

I was downwind from St. Helens when that one blew, what a mess, Yellowstone is downwind from me so from where I'm at it would likely make for some interesting sunrises but I pity anyone on the downwind side of that one.

7. Jul 16, 2016 #6

fresh_42

If Yellowstone erupts such that the whole chamber will be emptied, then the entire planet is downwind sooner or later. In a documentary I saw they said something of about several meters of ashes in a place as far as Chicago.

8. Jul 16, 2016 #7

1oldman2

Gold Member

Good point, no doubt the "mess" would be global. No matter what projections you look at no one would be unaffected but I'm glad none of us will likely be around to witness the effects. I was fishing in the mountains with my wife on the day St. Helens blew so we had no Idea what happened, it appeared as if an extremely bad storm was coming over the horizon so we beat feet for town, in a matter of a half hour it was almost completely dark in mid afternoon and appeared to be snowing. When I say "what a mess" its hard to believe what the ash was like nearly 500 miles from St. Helens. When Yellowstone does erupt as it inevitably will someday I don't want to be around for the results. I'm told Yellowstone's magma chamber is the same one that produced the Snake river/craters of the moon area as well as the Columbia river area basalt flows. Its been around a long time just keeps shifting to the east and erupting periodically. Rome would be a bad place to be when that system goes, it's way to close considering the population base of the area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted