Collision Conservation of Energy

In summary, the question asks for the initial speed of a bullet that is fired horizontally into a block of wood on an air table and becomes embedded in it. After the collision, the block and bullet slide together with a speed of 10 cm/s on a frictionless surface. Using the formula for kinetic energy and the conservation of energy, a total kinetic energy of 0.04504 J is calculated. However, since this is an inelastic collision, conservation of momentum is needed to solve for the initial speed of the bullet.
jakeginobi

Homework Statement

An 8.00-g bullet is fired horizontally into a 9.00 kg block of wood on an air table and is embedded in it. After the collision, the block and the bulet slide along a frictionless surface together with a speed of 10cm/s. What is the initial speed of the bullet?

M1 = 0.008kg
M2(block)=9.00 kg
V(total) = 0.1m/s

Homework Equations

Ek=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the total Ek after the collision 1/2(9.00kg+0.008kg)(0.1m/s)^2 = 0.04504J
but I don't know what to do afterwards. I can solve this only with using the conservation of energy, not momentum because my teacher hasn't taught momentum yet and the yet is only on energy

Physics news on Phys.org
jakeginobi said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the total Ek after the collision 1/2(9.00kg+0.008kg)(0.1m/s)^2 = 0.04504J
but I don't know what to do afterwards. I can solve this only with using the conservation of energy, not momentum because my teacher hasn't taught momentum yet and the yet is only on energy

Are you sure you didn't skip the class on conservation of momentum? This is what's called an inelastic collision and energy is not conserved in such collisions. You can, in fact, use conservation of momentum to show how much energy is lost in inelastic collisions.

In short, you need conservation of momentum to solve this problem.

1. What is the principle of collision conservation of energy?

The principle of collision conservation of energy states that in a closed system, the total amount of energy before a collision is equal to the total amount of energy after the collision. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.

2. How is kinetic energy conserved during a collision?

In a collision, kinetic energy is conserved as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the total amount of kinetic energy before the collision is equal to the total amount of kinetic energy after the collision.

3. Does the type of collision affect the conservation of energy?

Yes, the type of collision can affect the conservation of energy. In an elastic collision, both kinetic energy and momentum are conserved. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved and some kinetic energy is lost to other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

4. How is potential energy involved in the conservation of energy during a collision?

Potential energy can also be involved in the conservation of energy during a collision. For example, in a car crash, the potential energy of the car at the top of a hill is converted into kinetic energy as it accelerates down the hill. During the collision, some of this kinetic energy may be converted back into potential energy, such as when the car crumples and is lifted off the ground.

5. How does the law of conservation of energy apply to real-life situations?

The law of conservation of energy applies to all real-life situations, from a simple game of billiards to the complex interactions of celestial bodies in space. It is a fundamental principle in physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. Without the conservation of energy, many everyday phenomena would be impossible to explain.