1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision Conservation of Energy

1. Mar 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An 8.00-g bullet is fired horizontally into a 9.00 kg block of wood on an air table and is embedded in it. After the collision, the block and the bulet slide along a frictionless surface together with a speed of 10cm/s. What is the initial speed of the bullet?

M1 = 0.008kg
    M2(block)=9.00 kg
    V(total) = 0.1m/s
    2. Relevant equations
    Ek=1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the total Ek after the collision 1/2(9.00kg+0.008kg)(0.1m/s)^2 = 0.04504J
    but I don't know what to do afterwards. I can solve this only with using the conservation of energy, not momentum because my teacher hasn't taught momentum yet and the yet is only on energy

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2016 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure you didn't skip the class on conservation of momentum? This is what's called an inelastic collision and energy is not conserved in such collisions. You can, in fact, use conservation of momentum to show how much energy is lost in inelastic collisions.

In short, you need conservation of momentum to solve this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted