1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision in 2 dimensions (Momentum)

1. Jan 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two spacecrafts have linked in space and are coasting with their engines off, heading directly towards Mars. The spacecrafts are thrust apart by large springs. Spacecraft 1 with mass of 1.9 x 10^4 kg, then has a velocity of 3.5 x 10^3 km/h at 5.1 degrees to its original direction. Spacecraft 2 with mass 1.7 x 10^4 kg, has then a velocity of 3.4 x 10^3 km/h at 5.9 degrees to its original direction. Determine the original speed of the two craft when they were linked together.

2. The attempt at a solution
    Please see attached my attempt to solve this question. Am I on the right path? Do I have to calculate for Y axis too? Many thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2007 #2

So Basically, I know now that the force of the spring is in fact internal. But, if there is no velocity on the y axis why would I have to calculate it? And I on the right path performing calculations for the x axis only?

4. Jan 20, 2007 #3
    You are indeed. The work done by the spring only acts in a Y direction so because of that, there is no change in speed in the x direction.
  5. Jan 20, 2007 #4
    awesomeness.... thank you
  6. Feb 17, 2007 #5
    From looking at your work, you forgot to convert the speeds from Km/h into m/s before plugging the numbers into the equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?