Collision Problem - A gain of kinetic energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between two blocks, with one block sliding into the other along a frictionless surface. The directions and speeds of the blocks before and after the collision are given, and the question is asked about the final velocity of block A. It is determined that the collision is inelastic, meaning kinetic energy is lost to other forms of energy but momentum is conserved. The person asking the question has calculated the final velocity of block A and the kinetic energy before and after the collision, but has found that the kinetic energy after the collision is greater than the kinetic energy before the collision, which is deemed impossible without any external forces present. This leads to questioning the accuracy of the calculations and the possibility of a faulty problem.
eurekameh
In Fig. 9-64, block A (mass 1.1 kg) slides into block B (mass 2.9 kg), along a frictionless surface. The directions of velocities before and after the collision are indicated; the corresponding speeds are vAi = 5.6 m/s, vBi = 2.2 m/s, and vBf = 4.9 m/s. What is velocity vAf (including sign, where positive denotes motion to the right)?

I believe that this collision is inelastic and not elastic, because kinetic energy is lost to other forms of energy, correct? And so momentum is conserved, kinetic energy is not?

I conserved momentum and found the final velocity of block A. However, when I calculated the kinetic energy before and after the collision, I found that the kinetic energy after the collision is greater than the kinetic energy before the collision. How is this possible?

Edit: No external forces are present.

Physics news on Phys.org
can you show us the work you did.

Momentum before = Momentum after
(1.1)(5.6) + (2.9)(2.2) = (1.1)(vAf) + (2.9)(4.9)
I found vAf.
But when I calculated the kinetic energy before and after the collision, I got an increase in kinetic energy, as in : kinetic energy before collision < kinetic energy after collision.

Kinetic energy before collision:
(1/2)(1.1)(5.6)^2 + (1/2)(2.9)(2.2)^2 = 24.3 J.

Kinetic energy after collision, using vAf = -1.52, found when conserving momentum:
(1/2)(1.1)(-1.52)^2 + (1/2)(2.9)(4.9)^2 = 36.1 J.

My question is this: Is it possible to have an increase in kinetic energy when there are no apparent external forces acting on the system of the two colliding blocks? Or are my calculations faulty? Or is the problem itself faulty?
Thanks for the responses.

well, we seem to have an impossible situation here. and in fact we do. if you look at the change in KE of B, it is bigger than the whole of A's KE coming in. this is impossible. these numbers do not correspond to a possible physical situation.

I can confirm that this is indeed an inelastic collision, as kinetic energy is lost to other forms of energy such as heat and sound. Momentum is conserved in all collisions, but kinetic energy is not necessarily conserved.

In this specific scenario, the gain of kinetic energy after the collision is due to the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy. Block A had a higher initial velocity and thus had more potential energy before the collision. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, resulting in a higher final velocity for block A.

It is important to note that the calculation of kinetic energy only takes into account the velocity and mass of the objects involved. It does not consider any external forces, such as gravity or friction, which may have an impact on the final kinetic energy. In this case, the absence of external forces may have contributed to the higher final kinetic energy.

In conclusion, while kinetic energy may not be conserved in this collision, momentum is still conserved and the increase in kinetic energy can be explained by the conversion of potential energy.

1. What is a collision problem and why is it important in science?

A collision problem refers to a situation where two or more objects come into contact and exchange or transfer energy. This can occur in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is important because it helps us understand how objects interact with each other and how energy is conserved in a closed system.

2. How is kinetic energy gained in a collision?

Kinetic energy is gained in a collision when two or more objects collide and transfer some of their energy to each other. This can happen in two ways: through an elastic collision, where there is no loss of energy, or an inelastic collision, where some energy is lost as heat or sound. In both cases, the total kinetic energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision.

3. What factors affect the gain of kinetic energy in a collision?

The gain of kinetic energy in a collision can be affected by various factors, such as the mass and velocity of the objects involved, the angle and direction of the collision, and the type of collision (elastic or inelastic). These factors can influence the amount of energy transferred between objects and the resulting change in their kinetic energy.

4. How can we calculate the gain of kinetic energy in a collision?

The gain of kinetic energy in a collision can be calculated using the principle of conservation of energy. This states that in a closed system, energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed. By analyzing the initial and final kinetic energies of the objects involved, we can determine the gain of kinetic energy in the collision.

5. What are some real-life applications of understanding the gain of kinetic energy in collisions?

Understanding the gain of kinetic energy in collisions has many practical applications, such as in car safety. By studying how energy is transferred during collisions, engineers can design safer cars with features like airbags and crumple zones to reduce the impact force on passengers. This concept is also important in sports, where athletes use their knowledge of collisions to improve their performance and prevent injuries.