Collisions and the Speed of Two Pucks

  • Thread starter Thread starter bowbe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Collisions Speed
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
bowbe
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A hockey puck moving along the +x axis at 0.5 m/s collides into another puck that is at rest. The pucks have equal mass. The first puck is deflected 37degrees below the +x axis and moves off at 0.36 m/s. Find the speed and direction of the second puck after the collision.

Homework Equations


1/2*m_a*v_ai^2 + 1/2*m_b*v_bi^2 = 1/2*m_a*v_af^2 + 1/2*m_b*v_bf^2
m_a*v_ai + m_b*v_bi = m_a*v_af + m_b*v_bf

The Attempt at a Solution


For part1, I am using the condensed formula of:
v_ai^2 = v_af^2 + v_bf^2
since the masses are equal and the second puck starts at rest, which gives me
v_bf = .3496 (says it is incorrect)

For part2, I know to separate the x-component and y-component to get (condensed again):
x:
0.5 = (.36)(cos37) + (v_bf)(cos[unknown])
y:
0 = (.36)(sin37) + (v_bf)(sin[unknown])

I could solve for the unknown angle if I knew v_bf.

Can anyone help me find what I am doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bowbe,

bowbe said:

Homework Statement


A hockey puck moving along the +x axis at 0.5 m/s collides into another puck that is at rest. The pucks have equal mass. The first puck is deflected 37degrees below the +x axis and moves off at 0.36 m/s. Find the speed and direction of the second puck after the collision.

Homework Equations


1/2*m_a*v_ai^2 + 1/2*m_b*v_bi^2 = 1/2*m_a*v_af^2 + 1/2*m_b*v_bf^2
Did you give the whole problem above? This equation is for elastic collisions (kinetic energy conserved). Is this an elastic collision?
m_a*v_ai + m_b*v_bi = m_a*v_af + m_b*v_bf

The Attempt at a Solution


For part1, I am using the condensed formula of:
v_ai^2 = v_af^2 + v_bf^2
since the masses are equal and the second puck starts at rest, which gives me
v_bf = .3496 (says it is incorrect)

For part2, I know to separate the x-component and y-component to get (condensed again):
x:
0.5 = (.36)(cos37) + (v_bf)(cos[unknown])
y:
0 = (.36)(sin37) + (v_bf)(sin[unknown])

Here you have two equations with two unknowns, and so you can solve for both unknowns from just these two. (However, I would write this with one of these terms being negative.)