Colorful smoke from burning WHAT?

• Thread starter dudi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smoke
In summary, there are no known substances that will burn in mild temperatures (4 to 40 C) in the presence of oxygen and fire, creating colorful flames. While copper has been suggested, it is not confirmed. Most combustible materials will burn in these temperatures when surrounded by air, but it is unclear what the person is specifically asking about. Pyrophoric materials such as boranes can produce green flames when released into the atmosphere, but achieving colorful smoke is more difficult.
dudi
Sorry guys I am not an expert, but I wondered for my general use

What substances do you know will burn in mild tempratures (4 to 40 C, let's say) simply in the presence of oxygen and fire (spark or surrounding fire) creating prominent colorful fire - hence different from white, gray or black. I heard copper has this feature, but I am not positive about that. Can anyone please help?

Sorry for bad english...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There are no substances I am aware of that will burn in these temperatures.

when the surrounding environment (air) is at these tempratures?

I am not sure what you are asking about. Most combustible things will burn when surrounded by the air at 0-40 deg C.

Do you want it just to burn in typical circumstances? Like a match, or a torch, or a campfire?

He is asking about pyrophoric materials. Boranes burn with a green flame. All you have to do is to release it into the atmosphere. If you want smoke instead of colored flames that is a different thing altogether.

Thank you guys for replying! now I know colorful smoke is hard to achieve in normal circumstances... and Chemistree got me all right

What causes colorful smoke when burning wood?

The colorful smoke from burning wood is caused by the combustion of different chemicals present in the wood, such as lignin and cellulose. These chemicals produce various colored compounds, such as carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur, which are released as smoke when the wood burns.

Why does burning certain metals produce colorful smoke?

Certain metals, such as copper, sodium, and strontium, produce colorful smoke when burned due to their unique electronic structures. When heated, these metals emit different wavelengths of light, resulting in the formation of colorful smoke.

Is it safe to inhale the colorful smoke from burning chemicals?

No, it is not safe to inhale the colorful smoke from burning chemicals. The smoke contains various toxic compounds, such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxide, which can be harmful to human health.

Can the color of the smoke be controlled when burning different materials?

Yes, the color of the smoke can be controlled by burning different materials. For example, adding certain chemicals to a fire can produce specific colors. This is often used in fireworks displays to create vibrant and colorful smoke.

What are the environmental impacts of producing colorful smoke from burning materials?

The production of colorful smoke from burning materials can have negative environmental impacts. The smoke can contribute to air pollution and can also harm plants and animals in the surrounding area. It is important to use proper safety measures and dispose of materials responsibly when producing colorful smoke.