Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Columb distance/charge balancing problem

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A meter stick has two charges placed on it at the 0 mark is a charge of +1 coulomb. On the 100cm mark is a charge of +4 coulombs. Where should a proton be placed on the meter stick so that the net force due to both charges is 0.

2. Relevant equations

Kc = Coulomb const.
    Q= charge
    a=unknown distance from +1 on proton
    b= unknown distance from +4 on proton
    X= proton on line
    (Kc*Q1*Qn)/r^2= Force 1 on n

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I've attempted to do the following:
    +1_________________+4
    The proton must fall in some region between the two.
    If we take 50cm to be the origin of this system and 100 to be +50cm and -50 to be the negative maximum the system at 0 then the +1 charge acts on it towards the negative X direction. So it goes from this:

0________100cm
    to
    -50cm_______0_______50cm

-[(Kc*Qproton*Q+1)/a^2]+(Kc*Qproton*Q+4)/b^2 = 0
    This however, gives me:
    [b^2/a^2]=4/1
    b/a=2/1

Which to me says that in order for this equation to be true then the distance to the proton on the +4 charge must be twice that of the distance from +1. However I can't seem to find any reasonable way to put this on the meter stick. The only possibility I can think of that would follow this is that the proton must be 30cm from the +1 charge and 60cm from the +4 charge but this still leaves 10cm that don't exist on the meter stick.

Have been working on this for a few hours now and am beginning to think maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Specialmias! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Yes, you're right … the distance to the proton on the +4 charge must be twice that of the distance from +1.

Now calm down!

just use algebra …

start by saying "if the distance from the 0 cm mark is x cm, then … " :wink:

4. Jan 25, 2009 #3
    Oh wow. 3X completely whooshed by my head. You've saved my sanity, thank you.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook