1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combination of uncertainties/errors when dealing with equations

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Combination of uncertainties/errors when dealing with equations

Greetings; I wasn’t sure exactly which section to place this so please move it if necessary.

My problem is as follows:

I have worked out an impedance for a coaxial cable, using the following formula: Z = (L/C)^1/2. Here, L is the inductance and C is the capacity per unit length. L is given by L = (μ/2π)ln(b/a). C is given by C = 2πε/[ln(b/a)]. Both b and a are distances. All other values are constants with their usual meaning.

I have no trouble in working through these equations and combining them to find a Z value. What I’m struggling with is the ‘associated errors’ of these things. As this result is required for a lab report it is important that I do quote the overall uncertainty of my final result.

I understand that both a and b are measured values and this means I do have an error associated with them (given by the resolution of the measuring instrument). I also understand how to combine the errors of b and a when the 2 values ‘interact’ e.g. the error combination for (b/a) can be found using the standard error formula (ΔZ/Z)^2 = (ΔA/A)^2 + (ΔB/B)^2 (I can also do it for when the natural log of the combined values is taken). However, what I find difficult is the consideration of the constant values in the equation. If I just ignore these constants and take the errors for the combinations as explained above, I find the final error outcome is many times greater in magnitude than the final answer, so I am positive I do need to reconsider this. How do I consider the constants and their relationship to the errors, as I can’t quote an error for something like π yet it does effect the equation?

Any help would be much appreciated. All I am interested in is how to consider the constants in the equation with regards to errors (as I’ve explained I already know about standard error combinations when both values have errors). Obviously it is down to me to go through the actual numbers once I know what to do.

Many thanks for any help,

Supra.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 4, 2008 #3
    Ok well I've ran it through and found my impedance of 83Ω has an error of +- 0.168. Now that sounds a lot more reasonable to me, and I have to do another 4 impedances so I should be able to confirm they are realistic values.

Many thanks for the help Dr Transport, and for a very useful link <adds to bookmarks>.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?