Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinations and Permutations of Cards

1. Mar 23, 2013 #1
    Hey guys,
    I have a problem relating to combinations and permutations.In how many ways can I divide a deck of 52 cards into piles of 3 with each pile containing any number?
    for example 50,1,1 or 45,6,1
    Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is 0 allowed for one of the piles? If you look at in two steps it is fairly straightforward.
    Step 1, choose a number (k) for the first pile. There are now 52-k left for the other two piles. Assuming 0 is allowed, there are 52-k ways to split up these cards. Now just add them up for k ranging from 0 to 52. It will sum to 52x53/2.

If 0 is not allowed, the procedure is the same, just omit the cases where any pile has 0.

4. Mar 24, 2013 #3
    Thanks,0 is not allowed

5. Mar 24, 2013 #4
    Can you explain this."Now just add them up for k ranging from 0 to 52".I'm a little lost.(not a math expert)

6. Mar 25, 2013 #5

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since 0 is not allowed. Put 50 in the first pile, then there is exactly 1 way of sorting the other two piles. Put 49 in the first pile and there are 2 ways of sorting the other 2 piles, ..., put 1 in the first pile and there are 50 ways of sorting into the other two piles. Net result 1+2+3+....+50 = (50x51)/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook