Probability of Deck of Cards, ignoring suits

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Lenus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cards Probability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 3K views
Lenus
Messages
20
Reaction score
1
I am looking for a way of calculating the possible combinations of a standard deck of 52 cards.

I am aware of the 52! number, which is the total no of combinations 52 cards can form in a deck, but would like to know how to determine the total no of combinations if the suits are ignored.

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see an expression for suits in 52!
 
Lenus said:
the possible combinations of a standard deck of 52 cards.

Do you mean "permutations" instead of "combinations"?
 
Doug Huffman said:
I do not see an expression for suits in 52!

??
isnt the number of ways of arranging 52-card deck 52! ?
 
The cards could as well be of 52 unique words, still with no suits.
 
Stephen Tashi said:
Do you mean "permutations" instead of "combinations"?

Yes, in fact I do.

All I need is the way of calculating the number of ways of arranging the deck of cards without suits, i.e. Qh As 7d would be same as Qs Ad 7c.
 
Doug Huffman said:
The cards could as well be of 52 unique words, still with no suits.

Sure, it would be the same problem, although we need to have 13 unique words, 4 each in such a deck of 52 cards to arrive to my initial question again.
 
mathman,

thanks and it looks like the right approach but would appreciate a little explanation, please.
As an example, how would that formula be transformed for the deck of 8 cards with 4 aces and 4 kings?

would that be 8!/4!^2?
 
Last edited:
Lenus said:
mathman,

thanks and it looks like the right approach but would appreciate a little explanation, please.
As an example, how would that formula be transformed for the deck of 8 cards with 4 aces and 4 kings?

would that be 8!/4!^2?
Yes. Numerator is all permutations of deck. Each term of denominator is permutation of cards of the same rank.
 
I have manually double-checked the result from the formula for the deck of 8 and it is just spot on!

Appreciate your help, thanks a lot!