Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combinations and probability distributions

1. May 17, 2008 #1
    Can someone please help with the method of how to solve this problem.....

Question:
    Three balls are thrown at random into 5 bowls so that each ball has the same chance of going into any bowl independently of wherever the other 2 balls fall. Determine the probability distribution of the numberof empty bowls.

The anwers are below, but i don't understand them. Can it be looked at as a success failure type poblem. with probability of success being that a bowl gets 1 ball: probability = 1/5, and the probability of a failure; 1-1/5 = 4/5. If so how do I use this to obtain the distribution.

Also can someone please tell me why in this scenario we don't look at the possibility of the ball missing the bowl - because i feel that this should be a possibility in this scenario, which then gives 6 equally likely outcomes, which would mean probabitlity of a success is then 1/6?

The anwer to this question (which I don't understand) is:
    if we let R = no. of empty bowls

the distribution of R:
    P(R=2) = 0.48, p(R=3) = 0.48, p(R=4) = 0.04

Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi SavvyAA3! :smile:
    Yes, that's right! :smile:
    Well, try p(R=4) first … that's the probability that the second and third balls go into the same bowl as the first one … which is … ? :smile:
    erm … REALITY CHECK … ! :rolleyes:

When you're sitting in the examination room, THE ONLY REALITY IS WHAT'S ON THE QUESTION PAPER … anything else is just a mirage brought about by heat and lack of water and sleep. :wink:

4. May 17, 2008 #3
    why reality check? The question did not state that this is not a possibility - please tell me why I can't assume this?

Thanks.

5. May 18, 2008 #4
    The question also didn't state that aliens would not grab the balls with a tractor beam or that your dog would not eat them... do you see?

6. May 19, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi montoyas7940! :smile:
    hmm …
    :smile: … is that what happened to you … ? :smile:

7. May 19, 2008 #6
    Hi yourself TT!

No, fortunately aliens didn't grab my balls. :approve:

But I read about this guy once...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?