Combinatorial proofs & Contraposition

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of contraposition in combinatorial proofs and how it relates to the statement "##C(n,k)## ways to create k subsets." The conversation also considers the logical interpretation of this statement and how it can be demonstrated through partitioning a set of ##n## elements. The speaker also mentions the need for practice to fully understand combinatorial proofs.
CGandC
I have a question regarding to combinatorial proofs and predicate logic. It seems to me that in some combinatorial proofs there is a use of contraposition ( although not explicitly stated in the books where I've read so far ), for example If we to prove that ## C(n,k) = C(n,n-k) ## combinatorically, the explanation is:

" (1) we have ## C(n,k) ## ways to create k subsets
(2) we have ## C(n,n-k) ## ways to not create k subsets
And since both ways of counting are equivalent, we finished. "

However, why these two statements ( statements (1) and (2) ) are equivalent? is it because "## C(n,n-k) ## ways to not create k subsets" is the contrapositive of " ## C(n,k) ## ways to create k subsets " ?
But how do you even find the contrapositive of a sentence like " ## C(n,k) ## ways to create k subsets "? ( it doesn't seem like an implication to me )

Physics news on Phys.org
The easiest way is probably to show that the formulas are identical.

The way the argument above uses is: Whenever I choose ##k## elements out of ##n##, then I have simultaneously chosen ##n-k## elements, which do not belong to the set. Hence if I pick ##k## or ##n-k## elements does not matter.

I simply label the resulting bowls of ##C(k,n)## as chosen and not chosen. Of course, I can exchange the labels that I have put on my selections afterwards anyway without even repeating the process. So both results depend on a sign I used to mark them, not the process of selection. But that was deliberate.

##C(n,k)## is the number of ways to choose ##k## elements out of ##n##. That is the same as to choose ##n-k##, because whether you choose ##k## and leave ##n-k## behind or you choose ##n-k## and leave ##k## behind is the same.

Likes mfb
In terms of predicate and quantificational logic, is" ## C(n,k) ## ways to create k subsets" can be considered as a predicate? does it have a True/False value? I'm having hard time to interpret the logic behind this phrase and what to classify it as ( maybe there's advanced logic behind that's discussed in a course about Logic ).

I tried to write it with logical symbols, but it is quite a bit troublesome for such an obvious result. One has to define subsets with ##k## elements and make a statement about the size of the set of such sets, and sets of sets is always a bit clumsy.

Why don't you think of partitioning a set of ##n## elements into two sets, one with ##k## the other one with ##n-k## elements. This demonstrates the symmetry in the argument.

Ok I understand, thanks. I tried looking at combinatorial proofs as statements with quantifiers and such like when I was learning predicate and quantificational logic. But I think I'll have to exercise such proofs to get an idea of what's going on.

1. What is a combinatorial proof?

A combinatorial proof is a mathematical proof that uses counting techniques or combinatorial principles to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem.

2. How is a combinatorial proof different from a traditional proof?

A combinatorial proof uses combinatorial principles, such as counting, to show that a statement is true, while a traditional proof relies on logical arguments and mathematical equations.

3. What is contraposition?

Contraposition is a logical argument that states if a conditional statement is true, then its contrapositive (obtained by switching the hypothesis and conclusion and negating both) is also true.

4. How is contraposition used in mathematical proofs?

In mathematical proofs, contraposition can be used to prove the validity of a statement by showing that its contrapositive is true. This is often used in proofs by contradiction, where the negation of a statement is assumed to be true and then shown to lead to a contradiction.

5. Can combinatorial proofs and contraposition be used together?

Yes, combinatorial proofs and contraposition can be used together in mathematical proofs. Combinatorial principles can be used to show the validity of a statement, while contraposition can be used to simplify the proof and make it more concise.