Combinatorics? Lottery, Canadians help?

In summary: HJveSBpcyB0aGUgcGFnZSBodHRwOi8vd3d3Lm9sZy5jYS9sb3R0ZXJpZXMvZHJhd3NfZmFxLmpzcDsgYW5kIGxvb2sgYXQgdGhlIGZhcSBvZiB0aGUgbGVhcm4gZmFjZS4=In summary, the problem is to determine the number of combinations of winning numbers for Lotto 6/49, but the professor gave little guidance and the student is unsure if 0 is included in the set of numbers. The solution involves using a combination formula
flyingpig

Homework Statement

My professor gave us this problem, I asked him about it but he just dumped it on me by saying "check it out yourself".

Problem

Determine the number of all combinations of winning numbers for Lotto 6/49

The Attempt at a Solution

I read on wikia there are actually 5 numbers? I am not sure if they repeat...if it even matters from a set of 49.

So my guess is

[tex]\binom{49}{6} = \frac{49!}{6!(49-6)!} = \frac{49 \cdot48 \cdot 47 \cdot 46 \cdot45 \cdot44}{6\cdot5 \cdot4\cdot3\cdot1} = 13983816[/tex]

What's the problem? I don't know if 0 is in the set...

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

My professor gave us this problem, I asked him about it but he just dumped it on me by saying "check it out yourself".

Problem

Determine the number of all combinations of winning numbers for Lotto 6/49

The Attempt at a Solution

I read on wikia there are actually 5 numbers? I am not sure if they repeat...if it even matters from a set of 49.

So my guess is

[tex]\binom{49}{6} = \frac{49!}{6!(49-6)!} = \frac{49 \cdot48 \cdot 47 \cdot 46 \cdot45 \cdot44}{6\cdot5 \cdot4\cdot3\cdot1} = 13983816[/tex]

What's the problem? I don't know if 0 is in the set...

Check out the page http://www.olg.ca/lotteries/draws_faq.jsp and look at the faq.

RGV

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects in a systematic way. It involves the study of combinations, permutations, and other related concepts.

2. How is combinatorics related to the lottery?

Combinatorics is used in the analysis of lottery games, specifically in determining the odds of winning and developing strategies to increase the chances of winning. It also helps in understanding the patterns and combinations of numbers that are more likely to be drawn in a lottery game.

3. Can combinatorics be used to improve chances of winning the lottery?

While combinatorics can provide insights and strategies for playing the lottery, it cannot guarantee a win. Lottery games are based on random chance, and no mathematical formula can accurately predict the winning numbers.

4. How can Canadians use combinatorics to their advantage?

Canadians can use combinatorics to understand the probability of certain events occurring and make informed decisions based on this knowledge. This can be applied in various fields, such as economics, business, and sports.

5. Are there any real-life applications of combinatorics?

Combinatorics has many real-life applications, including in computer science, genetics, and network analysis. It is also used in designing experiments, scheduling, and optimizing resources in industries such as transportation and manufacturing.