Combined linear and rotational motion question

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the force exerted by a small solid disk as it rolls on its edge without skidding on a circular track with radius R = 9.7 cm. The initial height of the disk is h = 30.8 cm and the mass is m = 9.3 g. The equations used to solve this problem are I = 1/2MR^2 and F(centripetal) = (mv^2)/r. The solution involves calculating the velocity of the disk as it enters the circular part, which can be found using conservation of energy. The equation used is mg(h-2r)=1/2mv^2 at the top of the circle.
Dtbennett

Homework Statement

A small solid disk (r<<R), mass m = 9.3 g, rolls on its edge without skidding on the track shown, which has a circular section with radius R = 9.7 cm. The initial height of the disk above the bottom of the track is h = 30.8 cm. When the ball reaches the top of the circular region, what is the magnitude of the force it exerts on the track? (Hint: how fast is it going then?)

Homework Equations

I = 1/2MR^2

F(centripetal) = (mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm pretty sure you have to first calculate the velocity of the disk as it enters the circular part. However, I'm confused as to how as we are not provided with a time. Can you assume it is 1 second?

Then the net force must equal the centripetal force at the top of the loop, which will probably be close to zero.
And the speed of the object must match the centripetal force provided by gravity.

so making the centripital force equal to mg gives you

v= sqrt(rg)

I've gotten this far, but I have no idea where to go from here. Please help!

Attachments

• weird question.JPG
    weird question.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 353
Physics news on Phys.org
Dtbennett said:
So I'm pretty sure you have to first calculate the velocity of the disk as it enters the circular part.

You can, but why do you need to? You need the velocity at the top of the circular track, not at its bottom.

Then the net force must equal the centripetal force at the top of the loop, which will probably be close to zero.

This assumption is not based anything substantial, and so best avoided.

And the speed of the object must match the centripetal force provided by gravity.

Then you can already answer the question in the problem: zero. Does that look right to you?

Use a conservation law.

this problem is really tricky, I am having many problems trying to solve it

Last edited:
Hi,
what I did was saying that mg(h-2r)=1/2mv^2 at the top of the circle. would this be correct?

Gianf said:
Hi,
what I did was saying that mg(h-2r)=1/2mv^2 at the top of the circle. would this be correct?
Yes.

Since ##r## is taken into account for potential energy, perhaps the kinetic energy due to rotation should also be taken into account?

1. What is combined linear and rotational motion?

Combined linear and rotational motion is when an object is moving both in a straight line and rotating at the same time. This type of motion is commonly seen in objects such as wheels, gears, and pendulums.

2. How is combined linear and rotational motion different from just linear or rotational motion?

Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis or center point. Combined linear and rotational motion combines both types of movement, resulting in a more complex and dynamic motion.

3. What is an example of combined linear and rotational motion?

One example of combined linear and rotational motion is a car driving around a curved road. The wheels of the car are rotating while also moving in a straight line, resulting in a combination of both types of motion.

4. What is the relationship between linear and rotational speed in combined motion?

In combined linear and rotational motion, the linear speed and rotational speed are not necessarily the same. The linear speed is the speed at which the object is moving in a straight line, while the rotational speed is the speed at which the object is rotating around an axis. These speeds can be related through equations such as v = rω, where v is linear speed, r is the radius of rotation, and ω is rotational speed.

5. How is combined linear and rotational motion used in real-world applications?

Combined linear and rotational motion is used in various real-world applications, such as in machinery and vehicles. For example, gears use combined motion to transmit power and motion between rotating parts, and bicycles use combined motion to propel the rider forward while also steering and balancing.