Combining Momentum with Friction

In summary, the problem involves a 1500kg sedan traveling from north to south being struck by a 2200kg truck traveling from east to west. The two vehicles become enmeshed and slide due to the impact, with a measured coefficient of friction between the tires and the road of 0.75. After sliding, the two vehicles end up 5.39m west and 6.43m south of the point of impact. By using the kinematic equation and finding the components of acceleration, it can be determined that the sedan was traveling at approximately 12m/s and the truck at 21m/s just before the collision.
student34

Homework Statement

A 1500kg sedan traveling from north to south is struck by a 2200kg truck that is traveling from east to west. The two vehicles become enmeshed due to the impact and slide thereafter. Measurements show the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is 0.75. The two vehicles slide 5.39m west and 6.43m south of the point of impact. How fast was each vehicle traveling just before the collision?

Homework Equations

P1x = P2x
P1y = P2y
P1x: mx*V2x = V2*(mx + my)
P1y: my*V2y = V2*(mx + my)
P1x = mx*Vt
P1y = V2*(my + mx)
P1y = my*Vy
Ffriction(x) = m(s + t)*a
Ffriction(y) = m(s + t)*a
a = g*μ
V2x = (-2*ax*xskid)^(1/2)
V2y = (-2*ay*yskid)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

mx*V1x = V2y*(mx + my)
V2y = (2*9.8*0.75*6.43)^(1/2) = 9.722...m/s
V2x = (2*9.8*0.75*5.39)^(1/2) = 8.901...m/s

Now I will substitute V2y and V2x into the conservation of momentum equation:

my*V1y = V2y*(mx + my)

Isolating V1y = (9.722...m/s*3700kg)/1500kg = 23.98...m/s which is wrong because the textbook's answers are 12m/s and 21m/s. I get V1x = 14.97...m/s. Both are wrong by 3m/s, but I have no idea why.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
student34 said:

Homework Statement

A 1500kg sedan traveling from north to south is struck by a 2200kg truck that is traveling from east to west. The two vehicles become enmeshed due to the impact and slide thereafter. Measurements show the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road is 0.75. The two vehicles slide 5.39m west and 6.43m south of the point of impact. How fast was each vehicle traveling just before the collision?

Homework Equations

P1x = P2x
P1y = P2y
P1x = mx*Vt
P1y = V2*(my + mx)
P1y = my*Vy
Ffriction(x) = m(s + t)*a
Ffriction(y) = m(s + t)*a
a = g*μ
V2x = (-2*ax*xskid)^(1/2)
V2y = (-2*ay*yskid)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

mx*V1x = V2y*(mx + my)
V2y = (2*9.8*0.75*6.43)^(1/2) = 9.722...m/s
V2x = (2*9.8*0.75*5.39)^(1/2) = 8.901...m/s

Now I will substitute V2y and V2x into the conservation of momentum equation:

my*V1y = V2y*(mx + my)

Isolating V1y = (9.722...m/s*3700kg)/1500kg = 23.98...m/s which is wrong because the textbook's answers are 12m/s and 21m/s. I get V1x = 14.97...m/s. Both are wrong by 3m/s, but I have no idea why.
You can't break the work (done by friction) into x & y components. Work is a scalar quantity, not a vector.

SammyS said:
You can't break the work (done by friction) into x & y components. Work is a scalar quantity, not a vector.

I didn't use work or any type of energy equations. I broke acceleration into x and y components.

student34 said:
I didn't use work or any type of energy equations. I broke acceleration into x and y components.

The kinematic equation, (vx)2 = 2(ax)x
is equivalent to the work energy theorem (if you include all components).

Since you didn't use work explicitly, let's look at it this way.

For the kinematic equation, (vx)2 = 2(ax)x , you need to use ax, not a. Of course, use ay for to find vy.

The acceleration is in the same direction as the overall displacement. Use that to find its components.

SammyS said:
The kinematic equation, (vx)2 = 2(ax)x
is equivalent to the work energy theorem (if you include all components).

Since you didn't use work explicitly, let's look at it this way.

For the kinematic equation, (vx)2 = 2(ax)x , you need to use ax, not a. Of course, use ay for to find vy.

The acceleration is in the same direction as the overall displacement. Use that to find its components.

I did that in the work in my original post.

student34 said:
I can't make sense of that. Do you mean mx*V1x = V2x*(mx + my) etc?
##v_{2x} = (-2 a_x*x_{skid})^{\frac12}##
As SammyS says, this is not valid. A correct form would be
##v^2 = (-2 a*s_{skid})## where ##v^2 = v^2_x+v^2_y; a^2=a_x^2+a_y^2; x_{skid}^2+y_{skid}^2 = s_{skid}^2##, or in vectors (because a and s are collinear) v.v = -2a.s.

Wow, I get it, thank you both so much!

Last edited:
haruspex said:
I can't make sense of that. Do you mean mx*V1x = V2x*(mx + my) etc?

As SammyS says, this is not valid. A correct form would be
##v^2 = (-2 a*s_{skid})## where ##v^2 = v^2_x+v^2_y; a^2=a_x^2+a_y^2; x_{skid}^2+y_{skid}^2 = s_{skid}^2##, or in vectors (because a and s are collinear) v.v = -2a.s.
That was much clearer than mine.

Thank you haruspex !

1. What is momentum and how does it relate to friction?

Momentum is the measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass and velocity. Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. When an object is moving and encounters friction, its momentum decreases due to the opposing force.

2. How does combining momentum with friction affect the overall motion of an object?

Combining momentum with friction can result in a decrease in the object's overall motion. This is because the friction force acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, reducing its momentum. Ultimately, the object's speed and direction will be affected by the combination of these two forces.

3. Can the momentum of an object be completely eliminated by friction?

No, the momentum of an object cannot be completely eliminated by friction. While friction can decrease an object's momentum, it cannot reduce it to zero. This is because there will always be some residual momentum remaining, even if it is very small.

4. How does the coefficient of friction affect the combined momentum and friction force?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the "roughness" of the surfaces in contact. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance to motion, resulting in a stronger friction force. This can further decrease the object's momentum when combined with its mass and velocity.

5. Are there any real-life applications of combining momentum with friction?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of combining momentum with friction. For example, when a car brakes, the friction between the tires and the road decreases the car's momentum, allowing it to come to a stop. In sports, friction is often used to slow down or stop a moving object, such as when a baseball player slides into a base or when a hockey player stops on the ice.