student34
- 639
- 21
Homework Statement
Asteroid A is traveling at 40.0m/s and collides with asteroid B which is at rest. Both asteroids have the same mass, but asteroid A deflects off of its path by 30.0° above the horizontal, and asteroid B begins to travel 45.0° below the horizontal. What is the speed of asteroid A?
Homework Equations
PA1X = PA2X + PB2X
PA1X = 40.0m/s*mA
PA2X = mA*VA2*cos30°
PB2X = mB*VB2*cos45°
PA2Y = mA*VA2*sin30°
PB2Y = mB*VB2*sin45°
The Attempt at a Solution
Equation #1 mB*VB2*sin45° = mA*V[SIZE="1"]A2*sin30°
Equation #2 m[SIZE="1"]B*V[SIZE="1"]B2*cos45° + m[SIZE="1"]A*V[SIZE="1"]A2*cos30° = 40.0m/s*m[SIZE="1"]A
I isolate m[SIZE="1"]B*V[SIZE="1"]B2 from Equation #1 and get m[SIZE="1"]B*V[SIZE="1"]B2 = (m[SIZE="1"]A*V[SIZE="1"]A2*sin30°)/(sin45).
Now I substitute m[SIZE="1"]B*V[SIZE="1"]B2 into Equation #2, and get (cos45°*V[SIZE="1"]A2*sin30°)/(sin45°) + V[SIZE="1"]A2*cos30° = 40.0m/s, I canceled out m[SIZE="1"]A.
Next I isolate V[SIZE="1"]A2*(sin30°)/(tan45°) + cos30° = 40.0m/s
Finally V[SIZE="1"]A2 = 78.2679m/s which is impossible because it shouldn't go faster after the collision. Also, my textbook's answer is 23.3m/s.