Combining Science interests into a Feasible Career

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's desire to find a career that involves physics, biology, chemistry, laboratory work, and not being constrained by corporate interests. They are open to working for the government and have studied constitutional law and political theory. The individual also mentions their interest in medical physics and how it encompasses all of their desired fields while also allowing for research that benefits patients.
Joanaliese
I am trying to see if there are any good careers that include:
1.) Physics Research
2.) Biology Research
3.) Chemistry
4.) Laboratory work
5.) Not being constrained by corporate interests

I want to work somewhere where, even if our research does have a purpose that could be adapted commerically, we are researching for the sake of finding out things. I do not want to work for a company.

I would be okay with working for the government, as I study Constitutional Law and Political theory as well and know how to handle working with them.

Right now, I am in the 11th Grade, but feel that I need to figure this out as soon as possible. I do not like entering a situation without multiple working plans.

Physics news on Phys.org
Joanaliese said:

I want to work somewhere where, even if our research does have a purpose that could be adapted commerically, we are researching for the sake of finding out things. I do not want to work for a company.

I think if you find this place, a lot of people who like to know where it is.

Joanaliese said:

I would be okay with working for the government, as I study Constitutional Law and Political theory as well and know how to handle working with them.

Right now, I am in the 11th Grade, but feel that I need to figure this out as soon as possible. I do not like entering a situation without multiple working plans.

Working for the government in a governmental lab wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. When I worked for the Air Force Research Labs (which was even a military lab!), I made sure that I was in a division where all our work was publishable. In my case, I worked on laser sources for imaging that were in an "eye-safe" region of the spectrum, so that we could better image our own troops (and suspected enemy troops or targets) without blinding people (imaging resolution relates to wavelength... so light waves, even those in the IR, would make a better are better than traditional radar waves).

While my research was more applied (although less so than other divisions, who actually took our sources and made them into systems), there are certainly other options:
1) With regards to some "applied" research labs, working for a lab that focused on environmental/energy issues would also be fulfilling, without too much worry of your results going to military use.
2) Then there are select government labs out there that concentrate more on basic research (usually these are even not governmental labs, but labs that are built via the funds of several governments).

I don't think studying constitutional law or political theory will really help you "handle" working for these government labs... generally these labs are great environments in which to work once you learn how to handle any "red tape" issues. Knowing an extra language or two might be more useful.

Good luck, and also know that you'll get better ideas as you get more involved with your studies.

Have you thought about medical physics?

Physics research: check. Likely you won't be doing anything too fundamental. The physics is very applied, but the problems you work on can be very interesting and challenging.

Biology research: check. Medical physics research translates directly into medicine. On the biological side of things you can branch into radiobiology, health physics, modelling, and clinical trials as examples.

Chemistry: check. As much or as little as you want.

Laboratory work: check. Most medical physicists split time between clinical responsibilities and research, but there can be a significant amount of laboratory time involved if you want it.

Not being constrained by corporate interests: check. While your work can (and often does) have commercial applications, most of the research is academic or clinical in nature, which means that you're working for the benefit of patients.

You have lots of time before you have to make a decision, but considering what you've listed, medical physics might be a career worth investigating.

1. What are some potential career options for someone interested in combining multiple science interests?

There are many career options for individuals with diverse interests in science. Some examples include research and development in biotechnology or pharmaceuticals, environmental science and sustainability, data analysis and computational biology, science communication and education, and science policy and administration.

2. How can I narrow down my interests to create a feasible career path?

One way to narrow down your interests is to reflect on what aspects of science excite you the most and where your strengths lie. You can also explore different job opportunities and internships to gain hands-on experience and see what areas of science you enjoy the most. Networking with professionals in various fields can also provide valuable insights and help you make informed decisions.

3. Is it necessary to have a specific degree or background to pursue a career that combines multiple science interests?

Not necessarily. Many careers in science are interdisciplinary and value a diverse skill set. However, having a strong foundation in a specific field can be beneficial. It is important to continuously learn and acquire new skills to stay competitive in the job market.

4. Are there any challenges in combining multiple science interests into a career?

One challenge can be finding a job that aligns with all of your interests. It may require some flexibility and compromise, as well as continuously developing and expanding your skill set. Additionally, some fields may require additional education or training.

5. What resources are available for individuals interested in creating a career that combines multiple science interests?

There are many resources available, such as career counseling services, informational interviews with professionals in different fields, online job search platforms, and professional organizations related to your interests. You can also attend conferences and workshops, participate in networking events, and utilize social media to connect with like-minded individuals and learn about new opportunities.