1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combining Series and Parallel Resistor Combinations

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find Rth, at the terminals shown on the diagram

2. Relevant equations

Series resistance = R1 + R2 + R3 +....
    Parallel Resistance = 1/((1/R1)+(1/R2)...))

3. The attempt at a solution

When attempting problems like this, I was told by teachers and the text book to start at the opposite end of the terminals(where the Rth and arrow is). So in that case I combine the two 6 kohms resistors together (in series), and then combine that with the 3 ohms resistor (in parallel), getting an answer of 2.4 kohms, different to the answer provided.. In the answer provided, they don't start at the opposite end of the terminals, instead they start near the terminals. Is there something I'm not understanding right? or is the answer wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

you apparently do not understand the concepts of series and parallel. I suggest that you spend time studying circuit configurations until you can identify what is series and what is parallel.

4. May 5, 2012 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Remember that the disconnected terminals connected between ends of the 6kΩ resistors can be ignored - you can remove the wire "stubs" on either side of the open circuit completely.

Also the 3kΩ resistor can be rotated counterclockwise by 90 degrees until it's connected to the wire on top.

Redraw the circuit in this fashion. Does it look like a much more familiar arrangement?

5. May 5, 2012 #4
    Ok thanks so much for the help I understand now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook