Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Combustion and burning characteristics of syngas

1. Jun 13, 2007 #1
    As most of you are probably aware, A 'new' gas is being studied to be burned in gas turbine (DLE) combustors. Syngas which is a mixture of CO and H2. I am currently involved with experiments investigating the burning characteristics of this gas. However, we premix our gas in a stainless steel vessel and concern has been raised about the CO attacking the wall creating a catalyser, causing a bias for my experiments. Does anybody know when CO is stored in stainless steel, which species could be formed and how they could effect a combustion process. Any help is deeply appreciated.
    Kindest Regards, Jaap
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

We're getting in on some testing as well. Small world...

In Peckner and Bernstein's Handbook of Stainless Steels they talk a lot about corrosion due to CO2 at elevated temps but nothing on CO. I'll keep looking.

If you can, post this over in the stainless steel forum on Engineering Tips. There are some serious stainless folks over there.

4. Jun 14, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The other thing to do would be to look at the construction of gasifiers and other syngas handling equipment. As far as I know there are no special requirements, but if you find anything please let me know.

More problemmatic are usually the other gases which are sometimes present in unscrubbed (or partially treated) syngas; there's often a lot of hydrogen sulphide present which can be really nasty at high temperatures in such equipment.
  5. Jun 14, 2007 #4
    Well I am not sure that there is a strong effect however it would be nice to officially say there isn't

We will create the syngas ourselves by mixing hydrogen and CO this way we know that there are no other contaminants
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?