Comet with eccentricity of 0.7 and 200 year period

In summary, a comet of the star Sol with an eccentricity of .7 takes 200 years to complete one orbit. Using Kepler's 3rd law, we can find the average distance of the comet from Sol to be approximately 7.797 x 10^12 meters. The perihelion and aphelion distances can be approximated using the average distance as the semi-major axis. The velocity at perihelion is related to the eccentricity of the orbit and the distance of closest approach to the sun. The book Physics for Scientists & Engineers by Giancoli may provide more information on these equations.
joemama69

Homework Statement

A comet of the star Sol has an eccentricity of .7. It takes 200 yrs to complete on orbit

1)find the average distance of the comet from Sol.

2) Find the perihelion and aphelion distances from Sol

3)find the velocity of the comet at perihelion

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) i know ecentricity = (F(2) - F(1))/c where F is the foci and c is the major axis how does this help me

Physics news on Phys.org

You can use Kepler's 3rd law to find the average distance from the sun, knowing the period. By knowing the period you should also be able to find the semi-major axis of the orbit, and consequenctly the perihelion and Aphelion.

And finally the velocity at perihelion is related to the eccentricity of the orbit, and the distance of closest approach to the sun.

but I am looking for the average distance of the comet from Sol, not the earth

...or am i reading it wrong

What does Kepler's 3rd law say?

ohhhh i guess i should read more carefully

so r(commet)^3 / r(earth)^3 = T(commet)^2 / T(earth)^2

r(commet) = (200^2 * (2.28x10^11)^3)^1/3 = 7.797 x 10^12

how do i find the perihelion and aphelion, our book doesn't even mention it but i believe they are the closest and farthers points of the orbit

You should double check your text (what book are you using, by the way?). But I think you can use the average distance as your semi major axis. Then you might find this helpful http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apsis

Those equations are probably quoted to you somewhere.

the book is 4th edition Physics for scientists & engineers by Giancoli

What is the meaning of eccentricity in the context of a comet?

Eccentricity refers to the shape of the comet's orbit around the sun. A value of 0 represents a perfect circular orbit, while a value closer to 1 indicates a more elongated, or eccentric, orbit.

What does an eccentricity of 0.7 indicate about the comet's orbit?

An eccentricity of 0.7 means that the comet's orbit is highly elongated, with a more pronounced distance between its closest and farthest points from the sun.

How does the period of a comet relate to its orbit?

The period of a comet is the time it takes for the comet to complete one orbit around the sun. A longer period, such as 200 years, indicates a more distant orbit from the sun.

What determines the eccentricity and period of a comet?

The eccentricity and period of a comet are determined by its initial trajectory and the gravitational pull of other celestial bodies, such as planets and the sun, as it travels through space.

How often will this comet be visible from Earth?

Based on its 200 year period, this comet will be visible from Earth approximately once every 200 years. However, this can vary depending on the specific trajectory and gravitational influences on the comet's orbit.