Comets in the Northern Hemisphere vs the Southern?

In summary: They can also be unpredictable. Some comets are more visible in the southern hemisphere while others are more visible in the northern hemisphere. This could be due to a variety of reasons such as the comet's orbit, its distance from the sun, and the Earth's position in relation to the comet. It is not just luck or your data that makes comets more visible in one hemisphere than the other.
Vorde
Hey all,

I haven't been alive for that long, so I guess my data probably isn't as good as it should be, but in my experience there have been far more noteworthy comets appearing only to the southern hemisphere, and not to the northern one. In fact, I haven't ever seen a comet (since I was a child - too young to remember it, though), yet I think I can name half a dozen comets which I've seen news articles for; always with a "visible from the southern hemisphere."

Is there a reason for them showing up in the southern hemisphere more? Or is it just luck? Or is my data just wrong? :tongue:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Halley's comet reportedly was quite spectacularly visible in the northern hemisphere when it passed by in 1910. In 1986, this same comet was all but invisible in the northern latitudes and could only be observed in the southern hemisphere.

I don't know your age, but Comet Hayakutake was quite visible at New Orleans in 1997 even downtown where there was quite a bit of light pollution.

Comet Kohoutek was supposed to be very spectacular when it passed by in 1973. It was a spectacular flop. I don't recall anyone who saw it.

Comets vary in visibility due to a number of factors.

1. What is the main difference between comets in the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere?

The main difference between comets in the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere is their visibility. Comets in the Northern Hemisphere are typically more visible and easier to observe due to the fact that most major astronomical observatories and telescopes are located in the Northern Hemisphere.

2. Are there any comets that are only visible in the Northern Hemisphere or the Southern Hemisphere?

Yes, there are comets that are only visible in one hemisphere or the other. This is due to the fact that comets have different orbital paths and may only come close enough to Earth to be visible in one hemisphere. However, there are also comets that are visible from both hemispheres.

3. Do comets behave differently in the Northern Hemisphere and the Southern Hemisphere?

Comets generally behave in the same way regardless of their location in the sky. However, their appearance and visibility may differ due to factors such as the Earth's tilt and the observer's location. For example, a comet may appear brighter or dimmer depending on its position in the sky and the amount of light pollution in the area.

4. Are there any specific times of the year when comets are more visible in the Northern Hemisphere or the Southern Hemisphere?

Yes, there are certain times of the year when comets are more visible in each hemisphere. In the Northern Hemisphere, comets are typically more visible during the winter and spring months, while in the Southern Hemisphere, they are more visible during the summer and fall months. This is due to the Earth's position in its orbit and the tilt of its axis.

5. Can comets in the Northern Hemisphere also be seen in the Southern Hemisphere?

Yes, some comets can be seen from both hemispheres. However, the visibility may differ depending on the observer's location and the comet's position in the sky. Additionally, due to the Earth's rotation, comets may appear to move in different directions in the sky depending on the observer's location.