Mars' Global Sandstorm: Causes and Effects

In summary, the global sandstorm on Mars is caused by the southern hemisphere being warmer than the northern one, and the closer distance to the Sun. The effects on deposition are slower or somehow less rapid than sublimation, which only cause dust storms at perihelion.
Singlau
Recently I read a book about Mars, and it says that global sandstorm blows from southern hemisphere to northern hemisphere at perihelion. It's because the southern part is more heated at that position and the closer distance to sun gives it a high temperature, thus sublimating large amount CO2 in the southern polar cap. This increase in amount of air blows from southern hemisphere.

Here is my question: why doesn't sandstorm blow in another way at aphelion?

When Mars is farther from sun, its southern hemisphere is farther than northern one, so less heated. More CO2 is deposited back to the southern polar caps. At the sane time, northern ice cap absorb less air back relatively. Why doesn't this difference around the globe create global sandstorm as well?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mars (as every orbiting body) spends more time closer to aphelion, and overall temperatures are lower, so I would expect the processes to be slower there.

Mars doesn't have a global duststorm every orbit, so it could also be some combination of multiple conditions that have to come together.

Likes Singlau
Thanks!

Singlau said:
Recently I read a book about Mars, and it says that global sandstorm blows from southern hemisphere to northern hemisphere at perihelion. It's because the southern part is more heated at that position and the closer distance to sun gives it a high temperature, thus sublimating large amount CO2 in the southern polar cap. This increase in amount of air blows from southern hemisphere.

Here is my question: why doesn't sandstorm blow in another way at aphelion?

When Mars is farther from sun, its southern hemisphere is farther than northern one, so less heated. More CO2 is deposited back to the southern polar caps. At the sane time, northern ice cap absorb less air back relatively. Why doesn't this difference around the globe create global sandstorm as well?

There are two effects in play here. there is the axial tilt and the distance towards from the Sun. When Mars is at perihelion, its South pole is pointing more towards the Sun and gets warmer (just like Summers in the Northern hemisphere on Earth are warmer because the North pole is pointing more towards the Sun). It has nothing to to with the Southern hemisphere being closer to the Sun than the northern one, it is the fact that the Sun's rays strike the surface more vertically and the day lit hours are longer. Now add in the fact that Mar's orbit has an eccentricity of over 4 times that of the Earth, so there is a greater difference in Solar radiation at perihelion and you have a lot more heating at this time. At aphelion, the Northern hemisphere is no pointed towards the Sun and has the longer daylight hours, but now Mars is further away from the Sun, so you are not going to get as much heating of the Northern hemisphere during its summer that the Southern one got during its Summer. ( the solar radiation difference varies by ~46%)

Likes Singlau
Yes, I know that northern hemisphere is not heated that much. But what I'm saying in the first post is that wind is caused by a rapid decrease of air in southern hemisphere, instead of rapid increase of northern ice.

Anyway, now I do understand that the effect on deposition is slower or somehow less rapid than sublimation, which only cause dust storms at perihelion.

1. What causes a global sandstorm on Mars?

A global sandstorm on Mars is caused by high-speed winds that pick up dust and sand particles from the surface and carry them into the atmosphere. These winds can reach speeds of up to 60 miles per hour and are often triggered by changes in temperature and pressure.

2. How long do global sandstorms on Mars typically last?

The duration of a global sandstorm on Mars can vary, but they typically last for several weeks to months. The longest recorded global sandstorm on Mars lasted for 9 months in 2001.

3. What are the effects of a global sandstorm on Mars?

A global sandstorm on Mars can have significant effects on the planet's atmosphere, weather patterns, and surface. It can cause changes in temperature, affect the planet's albedo (reflectivity), and even contribute to the erosion of surface features.

4. Can global sandstorms on Mars affect spacecraft and rovers?

Yes, global sandstorms on Mars can pose a threat to spacecraft and rovers on the planet's surface. The high-speed winds and dust particles can damage equipment and reduce visibility, making it difficult for rovers to navigate and collect data.

5. How do scientists study global sandstorms on Mars?

Scientists study global sandstorms on Mars using various instruments and techniques, including satellite images, weather data, and simulations. They also rely on data collected from spacecraft and rovers on the surface to understand the effects of these storms on the planet.