1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coming from engineering to science degree, should I keep my units or not?

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    Ok so I have done around 1.5 years of maths, science and engineering classes (12 subjects) and realised I didnt enjoy engineering (my major), so I have now changed from a bachelor of electrical engineering to a bachelor of science. Now I am want to include a maths major in the degree however I essentially skimmed through the engineering maths courses that I did. One was a calculus/matrix algebra course with a smattering of statistics which I scored a credit in, another a multi-variable calculus course and some stats(distinction). The third was half vector calculus/complex analysis and half quantum physics(pass, ignored the quantum physics as much as possible). Now I am wondering should I keep these units as credit towards my maths major or start from scratch and give it my all? I really do feel I missed out on alot of the underlying theory of the mathematics I learnt and I don't like that. I have changed to another university with an alright maths department. However this was mostly my fault for not sitting down and learning the material indepth. Is it stupid to delay my graduation by not taking any maths subjects from my 1.5 years of engineering when it would increase my time till graduation by say half a year?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2
    Does anyone have any advice please?

4. Jun 26, 2011 #3
    Well, to start, I don't even know what a BA in Science means. It's totally ambiguous, and infers to me that you might be looking to teach grade school level Science. Having said that, it doesn't make sense to toss any math credits because math IS our fundamental basis for quantifying almost anything we study at rest, in motion, or in a state of flux. It seems from what you've said, that you don't like the math. Have you considered that you might not be a good fit in science at all?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook