Common word for reflexes, instincts, FAPs, etc.

• Thread starter icakeov
  • Start date
icakeov
Hi I was wondering if there is an official or standardized word that describes all the different body responses such as reflexes, instincts, FAPs and so on?

I guess "response" or "reaction" could do but I wondered if there is something official.

Any feedback appreciated!

Answers and Replies

BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2022 Award
Other than "behavior" or your "response", I am thinking there is not such a term.
However, its hard to demonstrate a negative.

icakeov
Thanks BillTre
One came to mind, how about: regulation?

jim mcnamara
Mentor
Try autonomic. The autonomic nervous system controls all of the reactions to the environment we do not think about and are usually unaware of - like increased heartbeat with exercise (increased blood levels of CO2) - for example. Medulla oblongata is the home for these in your brain (at the top of your spinal cord).

Reflexes are fervently misused by most folks especially in literary use. Which is okay. I think your question does that.

However, a reflex is an involuntary muscle reaction from a (usually mechanical) stimulus. Think of it as a hardwired a short circuit. Example: touch a hot really hot frying pan, your hand jerks backwards long before your brain gets the 'ouch' sensation.

On the other hand, there are learned muscle responses that seem automatic - like touch typing, playing the violin. Literary authors refer to this as reflexive. No. These are not reflexes - they are under the control of the cerebellum. They are not hard wired into the peripheral nervous system like a reflex is. They are learned. And FWIW: practicing typing does "rewire" your brain.

So no one word fits all. Except as abused terminology.

icakeov
Thanks Jim! That's very helpful.
I did mean to include any reaction that a body does overall, whether a simple unconscious body regulation, or a reflex, a tropism, an imitative behavior, or a complex conscious performance once someone is seated in front of a crowd.
Sounds like short of super the generic "response" would do it justice, but otherwise, they are better off being described individually based on what exactly they do?
Many thanks again!

Suggested for: Common word for reflexes, instincts, FAPs, etc.

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies