Commutation Relations and Unitary Operators

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with deriving a result and how to properly use the unitary transformation of the 4-momentum operator. It is mentioned that the correct result can be obtained by applying the proper transformation and leads to a specific commutation relation. The conversation also includes a step-by-step explanation of how to prove this relation and how it matches a previous equation by Srednicki.
abode_x
I have a problem with deriving another result. Sorry I am new to this field. Please see the attached PDF - everything is there.

Attachments

• QFT_q2.pdf
    33 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
What you're trying to prove is wrong. Srednicki is wrong. If you make the unitary transformation of the 4-momentum operator the way it should be done, namely

[tex] \bar{P}^{\mu}(x')=U(\Lambda)P^{\mu}(x)U^{\dagger} (\Lambda) [/tex]

then you get the correct RHS

[tex] \bar{P}^{\mu}(x')=U(\Lambda)P^{\mu}(x)PU^{\dagger} (\Lambda)= \Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\nu} P^{\nu}(x) [/tex]

which leads to the commutation relation

[tex] \left[P^{\mu}(x),M^{\nu\lambda}(x)\right]_{-}= i\hbar \ g^{\mu[\nu}P^{\lambda]}(x) [/tex]

Last edited:
abode_x: you got
[tex] {i\over2\hbar}\delta\omega_{\rho\sigma}[P^\mu,M^{\rho\sigma}]
=\delta\omega^\mu{}_\nu P^\nu [/tex]
Next,
[tex]\delta\omega^\mu{}_\nu P^\nu
=\delta\omega_{\rho\nu}g^{\rho\mu} P^\nu
=\delta\omega_{\rho\sigma}g^{\rho\mu} P^\sigma[/tex]
Next, use that [tex]\delta\omega_{\rho\sigma}[/tex] is antisymmetric, and so we can replace [tex] g^{\rho\mu} P^\sigma [/tex] with its antisymmetric part,
[tex]{1\over2}(g^{\rho\mu} P^\sigma-g^{\sigma\mu}P^\rho)[/tex]
This gives
[tex]{i\over2\hbar}\delta\omega_{\rho\sigma}[P^\mu,M^{\rho\sigma}]={1\over2}\delta\omega_{\rho\sigma}(g^{\rho\mu} P^\sigma-g^{\sigma\mu}P^\rho)[/tex]
For this to be true for any [tex]\delta\omega_{\rho\sigma}[/tex], it must be true of each coefficient. So,
[tex]{i\over2\hbar}[P^\mu,M^{\rho\sigma}]
={1\over2}(g^{\rho\mu} P^\sigma-g^{\sigma\mu}P^\rho)[/tex]
Multiply by [tex]-2i\hbar[/tex] and switch the two terms on the right to get
[tex] [P^\mu,M^{\rho\sigma}] =i\hbar(g^{\sigma\mu}P^\rho-g^{\rho\mu} P^\sigma)[/tex]
Using [tex]g^{\sigma\mu}=g^{\mu\sigma}[/tex], this matches Srednicki's eq.(2.18).

1. What are commutation relations?

Commutation relations are mathematical relationships that describe how two operators, representing physical quantities, behave when they are applied in different orders. They are important in quantum mechanics because they help us understand how physical properties, such as position and momentum, are related to each other.

2. How are commutation relations represented mathematically?

In quantum mechanics, commutation relations are represented using the commutator, which is defined as the difference between the product of two operators in different orders. The commutator is denoted by [A, B], where A and B are the operators.

3. What is the significance of commutation relations in quantum mechanics?

Commutation relations are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to define a set of operators that can be used to describe physical properties. They also help us understand the uncertainty principle, which states that certain physical quantities, such as position and momentum, cannot be measured simultaneously with perfect accuracy.

4. What are unitary operators?

Unitary operators are mathematical operators that preserve the inner product between two vectors. In quantum mechanics, unitary operators are used to represent physical transformations, such as rotations and reflections, that do not change the probability of a system being in a certain state.

5. How are unitary operators related to commutation relations?

Unitary operators and commutation relations are closely related in quantum mechanics. In fact, the commutator of two unitary operators is always a Hermitian operator, which has important physical implications. Additionally, unitary operators are often used to construct a basis of states that diagonalize a given set of commutation relations.