Proving commutator relation between H and raising operator

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to prove the commutator relation [H,a*]=hwa* and the confusion over why [a†,a] instead of [a,a†] is appearing. The conversation also includes a hint for solving the problem and a correction made by one of the participants. Ultimately, the mistake is identified and the correct answer is obtained.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
Prove the commutator relation [H,a*]=hwa*
Relevant Equations
[H,a*]=hwa*
I am going through my class notes and trying to prove the middle commutator relation,
Screen Shot 2022-08-25 at 10.06.11 PM.png

I am ending up with a negative sign in my work. It comes from [a,a] being invoked during the commutation. I obviously need [a,a] to appear instead.

Why am I getting [a,a] instead of [a,a]?

IMG_1106.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
quittingthecult said:
Homework Statement:: Prove the commutator relation [H,a*]=hwa*
Relevant Equations:: [H,a*]=hwa*

I am going through my class notes and trying to prove the middle commutator relation, View attachment 313257

I am ending up with a negative sign in my work. It comes from [a,a] being invoked during the commutation. I obviously need [a,a] to appear instead.

Why am I getting [a,a] instead of [a,a]?

View attachment 313258
Hint: Calculate ##[H, a^{\dagger} ] |1>## using ##H|n> = (n + 1/2) \hbar \omega |n>## and ##a^{\dagger} |1> = c |2>##. What happens?

-Dan

Likes guyvsdcsniper
Seems to me the step (2) is wrong, you are changing the order of operation there

In step (1) you have ## (a^\dagger a + \frac{1}{2})a^\dagger - a^\dagger(a^\dagger a + \frac{1}{2}) ##
But in step (2) you have ## a^\dagger (a^\dagger a + \frac{1}{2} - a^\dagger a - \frac{1}{2})##

Redo step (1) to (2), keep the order of operators unaltered.

Last edited:
Likes guyvsdcsniper
It seems to me step (1) is wrong. The commutator disappeared…

Too early in the morning, you just expanded the commutator. I would not do this, I would apply commutator rules for ##[AB,C] = A[B,C]+[A,C]B##.

Likes guyvsdcsniper, malawi_glenn and vanhees71
Thanks to all, I have seen the trivial mistake I made. I was able to get the correct answer now.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the commutator relation between H and the raising operator?

The commutator relation between H and the raising operator is given by [H, a+] = a+, where H is the Hamiltonian operator and a+ is the raising operator.

2. How is the commutator relation between H and the raising operator proven?

The commutator relation between H and the raising operator can be proven using the commutator property [A, BC] = [A, B]C + B[A, C] and the fact that the raising operator is defined as a+ = (1/√2)(x - ip), where x and p are the position and momentum operators, respectively.

3. Why is the commutator relation between H and the raising operator important?

The commutator relation between H and the raising operator is important because it allows us to determine the energy levels and eigenstates of a quantum system. It also plays a crucial role in the study of quantum harmonic oscillators and other quantum systems.

4. Can the commutator relation between H and the raising operator be extended to other operators?

Yes, the commutator relation between H and the raising operator can be extended to other operators. In general, the commutator relation between two operators A and B is given by [A, B] = AB - BA.

5. How does the commutator relation between H and the raising operator relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The commutator relation between H and the raising operator is related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle through the fact that the product of the uncertainties in the position and momentum operators is bounded by ħ/2. This is a consequence of the commutator relation [x, p] = iħ, which is a fundamental property of quantum mechanics.