Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commutation relations trouble (basic)

1. Aug 10, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am reading the first chapter of Sakurai's Modern QM and from pages 30 and 32 respectively, I understand that

(i) If [A,B]=0, then they share the same set of eigenstates.

(ii) Conversely, if two operators have the same eigenstates, then they commute.

But we know that [itex][L^2,L_z]=0[/itex], [itex][L^2,L_x]=0[/itex] and [itex][L_z,L_x]\neq 0[/itex].

From the first equality, and (i) I gather that L² and L_z have the same eigenkets. From (i) and the second equality, I get that L² and L_x have the same eigenkets. So L_z and L_x have the same eigenkets. Hence, by (ii), they commute, which contradicts [itex][L_z,L_x]\neq 0[/itex].

Where did I go wrong??

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2006 #2

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi quasar,

Consider the states [tex] | \ell, \,m_z \rangle [/tex] which are the usual simultaneous eigenstates of [tex] L^2 [/tex] and [tex] L_z [/tex]. To understand your problem, imagine taking superpositions of these states with the same [tex] \ell [/tex] but different [tex] m_z [/tex] values. For example, the state [tex] | 1/2,\, 1/2 \rangle + | 1/2, \,-1/2 \rangle [/tex] is such a superpostion; an equal superposition of spin up and spin down. This state is not an eigenstate of [tex] L_z [/tex] (two different [tex] m_z [/tex] values), but it is still an eigenstate of [tex] L^2 [/tex]. Thus while it is certainly possible to choose simultaneous eigenstates of [tex] L_z [/tex] and [tex] L^2 [/tex], it is definitely not true that every eigenstate of [tex] L^2 [/tex] is an eigenstate of [tex] L_z [/tex]. In fact, the state I just constructed is nothing other than the spin up eigenstate of [tex] L_x [/tex]. That is, it is a simultaneous eigenstate of [tex] L^2 [/tex] and [tex] L_x [/tex] rather than [tex] L^2 [/tex] and [tex] L_z [/tex]. So you see, among all the states with the same value of [tex] \ell [/tex], there is a nontrivial freedom to construct states that are eigenstates of [tex] L_z [/tex] or [tex] L_x [/tex]. Finally, the fact that [tex] L_z [/tex] and [tex] L_x [/tex] don't commute simple means that you won't be able find to find linear combinations which are eigenstates of [tex] L_z [/tex] and [tex] L_x [/tex].

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006
  4. Aug 10, 2006 #3

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, so I misinterpreted (i). Would a true statement be that if [A,B]=0, then the eigenkets of either one of A or B are eigenkets for the other.

Correct? Can it be made stronger?

5. Aug 10, 2006 #4

Physics Monkey

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The crucial point is that the above statement is definitely not true; eigenstates of A are in no way guaranteed to be eigenstates of B. The guarantee you do have is much weaker. What it says is that if you make a list of linearly independent eigenstates of A with the same eigenvalue, then you can always make from this list states which are also eigenstates of B (provided A and B commute). Again, it does not mean that every state on your list is automatically an eigenstate of B, only that you can find some combinations which are.

6. Aug 10, 2006 #5

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thank you!

7. Aug 11, 2006 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Technically, if [itex] A:D(A)\rightarrow \mbox{Im}(A) [/itex] ,[itex] A:D(B)\rightarrow \mbox{Im}(B) [/itex] AND [itex] D(A) \cap D(B) \neq \emptyset [/itex], then

[tex] AB-BA=0 \Leftrightarrow A(B\psi)=B(A\psi), \forall \in \psi D(A) \cap D(B) \ \mbox{and} \ B\psi \in D(A) , A\psi \in D(B) [/tex].

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?