Eigen value of total angular momentum

In summary, the eigenvalue of the total angular momentum is \hbar ^2 l(l+1). The proofs I have seen go like this. Using the ladder operators L_{\pm} = L_x \pm iL_y we can see and the |l, m \rangle state with maximum value of m (eigen value of L_z )
Idoubt
I'm trying to understand why the eigen value of the total angular momentum [itex]L^{2}[/itex] is [itex]\hbar ^2 l(l+1)[/itex]. The proofs I have seen go like this. Using the ladder operators [itex]L_{\pm} = L_x \pm iL_y[/itex] we can see and the [itex]|l, m \rangle[/itex] state with maximum value of m (eigen value of [itex]L_z[/itex] )

[itex]\langle l,m_{max} | L^2 | l, m_{max} \rangle = \langle l, m_{max} | L_{-}L_+ + L_z^2 + \hbar L^z |l,m_{max}\rangle[/itex]
= [itex]l^2 \hbar ^2 + \hbar ^2 l = \hbar ^2 l(l + 1)[/itex]

Because [itex]L_+[/itex] acting on the state with highest [itex]m[/itex] value annihilates it. So far so good, as long as I can prove that [itex]L_+ |l , m_{max} \rangle = 0 [/itex] , I'll be happy.

Now all proof's I have seen for the eigen values of [itex]L_+[/itex] use the same identity again but now say

[itex]\langle l, m | L_-L_+| l , m \rangle = \langle l, m | L^2 - L_z^2 - \hbar L_z | l , m \rangle = \hbar ^2 \left( l(l+1) - m(m+1) \right) [/itex]

and claim that when [itex]l = m[/itex] this is zero. So you are now using the fact that [itex]L^2 |l , m \rangle = \hbar ^2 l(l+1)[/itex] which was what I wanted to prove in the first place. Is there an independent proof that avoids this cycle?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no circle here. You just have to argue a bit differently. It's clear that there are common eigenvectors of [itex]L^2[/itex] and [itex]L_z[/itex] with
[tex]L^2 |\alpha,m \rangle=\alpha |\alpha m \rangle, \quad L_z |\alpha,m \rangle=m |\alpha,m \rangle.[/tex]
I've set [itex]\hbar=1[/itex] to save a bit of typing :-).

Then you define the ladder operators and prove that there's a maximum value for [itex]L_z[/itex], called [itex]l=m_{\text{max}}[/itex]. Using the ladder operator [itex]L_-[/itex] and the fact that there is also a minimal value [itex]m_{\text{min}}[/itex], you get [itex]m_{\text{min}}=-l[/itex] and that [itex]l \in \mathbb{N}_0/2[/itex].

Now you use
[tex]L^2=L_- L_+ +L_z^2+L_z,[/tex]
which follows from the definition of the ladder operators (no properties of the eigenvectors are used). Then you take the expectation value wrt. [itex]|\alpha,l \rangle[/itex]. You find, because of [itex]L_+|\alpha,l \rangle=0[/itex]
[tex]\langle \alpha,l | L^2 | \alpha,l \rangle=\alpha=\langle \alpha,l|L_z^2+L_z|\alpha,l\rangle=l^2+l=l(l+1),[/tex]
where I've only used the eigenvalue equation for [itex]L_z[/itex]. As you see, at the end you get the eigenvalue for [itex]L^2[/itex]
[tex]\alpha=l(l+1)[/tex]
without assuming this relation before. So there is no circle in the argument!

vanhees71 said:
Then you define the ladder operators and prove that there's a maximum value for [itex]L_z[/itex], called [itex]l=m_{\text{max}}[/itex]. Using the ladder operator [itex]L_-[/itex] and the fact that there is also a minimal value [itex]m_{\text{min}}[/itex], you get [itex]m_{\text{min}}=-l[/itex] and that [itex]l \in \mathbb{N}_0/2[/itex].

My question is how do you prove that there is a maximum or minimum value for [itex]m[/itex] and also how does this imply that [itex]L_+ | l, m_{max} \rangle = 0[/itex] ? Why not some other state ? And could you explain what is [itex] \mathbb{N}_0/2[/itex]

Idoubt said:
My question is how do you prove that there is a maximum or minimum value for [itex]m[/itex] and also how does this imply that [itex]L_+ | l, m_{max} \rangle = 0[/itex] ? Why not some other state ? And could you explain what is [itex] \mathbb{N}_0/2[/itex]

[tex]\langle\alpha,m|J^2|\alpha,m\rangle=\langle\alpha,m|J_x^2+J_y^2+J_z^2| \alpha,m\rangle[/tex]

but we also have

[tex]\langle\alpha,m|J_x^2| \alpha,m\rangle=\langle\alpha,m|J_x^\dagger J_x| \alpha,m\rangle[/tex]

Because Jx is Hermitian. That shows that [itex]\langle\alpha,m|J_x^2| \alpha,m\rangle[/itex] is positive because it is the magnitude (squared) of a vector. Samething is true about [itex]\langle\alpha,m|J_y^2| \alpha,m\rangle[/itex]

Putting that back into the original equation we have

[tex]\langle\alpha,m|J^2|\alpha,m\rangle \ge \langle\alpha,m|J_z^2| \alpha,m\rangle[/tex]

and from that you obtain

[itex]\alpha \ge m^2.[/itex] Clearly, for fixed alpha, m is limited in scope. Given that the rising operator lifts the eigenvalue m by a unit, eventually that inequality will be violated unless at some point the operator gives a vanishing eigenvector as a result.

yes, I see that there must be a upper limit on m for a fixed α. But is it completely rigorous to say that since the equality would be violated [itex]L_+| \alpha , m_{max} \rangle[/itex] is zero? I was reading this proof in Griffith and he mentions that strictly we can only conclude that the function is not normalizable. I am not fully comfortable with the whole argument, is just me or is there some mathematical 'iffyness' here?

Also except for the state [itex]| 0 , 0 \rangle[/itex] [itex]\alpha = m[/itex] does not seem to be allowed, why is that?

Idoubt said:
Also except for the state [itex]| 0 , 0 \rangle[/itex] [itex]\alpha = m[/itex] does not seem to be allowed, why is that?
The solutions are [itex]\alpha = l(l+1)[/itex], and [itex]|m| \le l[/itex]. How could they be equal unless they are both zero?

Last edited:
dauto said:
The solutions are [itex]\alpha = l(l+1)[/itex], and [itex]|m| \le l[/itex]. How could they be equal unless they are both zero?

Oh I see. It again follows from the fact that [itex]\alpha = l(l+1)[/itex] which follows from [itex]L_{+} | \alpha, m_{max} \rangle = 0[/itex]

What is the definition of eigenvalue of total angular momentum?

The eigenvalue of total angular momentum is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the possible values of the total angular momentum of a physical system. It represents the quantized values that the total angular momentum can take on, and is an important quantity in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

How is the eigenvalue of total angular momentum calculated?

The eigenvalue of total angular momentum is calculated by solving the eigenvalue equation for the system's total angular momentum operator. This operator is represented by the letter J and is defined as the sum of the intrinsic spin and orbital angular momentum of the system. The eigenvalue equation is then solved using mathematical techniques such as diagonalization or matrix methods to determine the possible values of the eigenvalue.

What is the significance of the eigenvalue of total angular momentum in quantum mechanics?

The eigenvalue of total angular momentum is an important concept in quantum mechanics because it helps to explain the quantization of physical properties at the quantum level. It also plays a crucial role in determining the allowed energy states and transitions of particles, and is a fundamental quantity in many quantum mechanical equations and theories.

What is the difference between the eigenvalue and eigenvector of total angular momentum?

The eigenvalue of total angular momentum is a numerical value that represents the possible values of the total angular momentum of a system, while the eigenvector is a mathematical object that describes the direction of the angular momentum. In other words, the eigenvalue gives the magnitude of the angular momentum, while the eigenvector gives the direction in which it is pointing.

How does the eigenvalue of total angular momentum relate to other physical quantities?

The eigenvalue of total angular momentum is related to other physical quantities such as energy, position, and momentum through various mathematical equations and principles. For example, in the Bohr model of the atom, the eigenvalue of total angular momentum is related to the energy levels of the electron, and in the Schrödinger equation, it is related to the particle's momentum and position in a quantum state.