Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Commuting creation and annihilation operators

1. Oct 5, 2008 #1
    Hello, I have the missfortune of having to calculate a commutator with some powers of the creation and the annihilation operators, something like:

[tex] \left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right][/tex]

I have managed to derive
    [tex] \left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right]= m a^{m-1} \left[ a , a^{\dagger} \right] [/tex]
    (altought I should really have remebered that) but I don't know how to use that to calculate
    the big thing other than by recursive application of it, and that's very messy.

Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2008 #2
    (I guess you got a typo in your second equation. I corrected it in the way I thought.)
    Actually, by directly repeating use of the eq(*), you will get
    [tex]\left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right] = nma^{m-1}(a^\dagger)^{n-1}\left[a,a^\dagger\right][/tex].
    What you only have to notice is, the commutator is a c-number.
    Application of eq(*) to [tex]\left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right][/tex] is just of as many lines calculation as the derivation of eq(*).
    Actually, the answer can be read off directly, but I think you should go into the calculation, and should not feel cumbersome please.

4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    Yeah, you're right it's supposed to be only [tex]a^{\dagger}[/tex] and no powers of n.
    Still, I'm not entirely convinced, the [tex] \left[ a , a^{\dagger} \right] [/tex] is indeed a c-number, but the [tex] \left[ a^m , a^{\dagger} \right] [/tex] is an operator, and when I expand the full [tex] \left[ a^m , (a^{\dagger})^n \right] [/tex] I get things that contain higher powes of the operators and thus I'm quite sure do not commute trivially.

So are you claiming that if I fully expand the commutator until I only have [tex] \left[ a , a^{\dagger} \right] [/tex] I get all the operators that I've pulled outside in the correct order to be able to write your final result?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?