1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comp Sci minor: worth it for a stats major?

1. Aug 19, 2015 #1
    is comp sci minor worth it for stats major? Does it significantly boost value on the labor market?

Is it worth an extra year of school? Also, i'm 22 and feel left behind from my peers, who have graduated.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2015 #2
    It's my understanding that what you need for a job programming is the ability to program (and you need to show that you can program). Have you taken any CS courses yet? Do you have any programming experience? I'd like to hear from someone with more experience, but personally I don't know if staying in school another year is worth the slight employment opportunity boost from a few CS courses, especially when all you really need is probably just to be able to show employers you can program.

A ton of people graduate late. Don't feel left behind.

4. Aug 19, 2015 #3
    It depends. Is having a minor on your resume likely to land you an interview (or job)? No. Is the knowledge you gain from completing those courses beneficial? Yes. If you take the courses purely to learn the content rather than just attain a minor, it may be helpful depending on the work you do professionally. However, I would not stay an extra year in school just for the sake of a minor unless I wanted to attend grad school in that field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook