Engineering physics w/ comp. sci minor or bs physics

In summary, as a rising junior at a midwestern university, you are deciding between options such as engineering physics, contemporary physics with lab, electronics with lab, computational/math based physics courses, a minor in computer science, and a concentration in materials physics. You are unsure about your future career path but plan on attending graduate school in a related field. The engineering physics degree with a minor in computer science and concentration in materials physics seems to be the best option for your goals.
batesra
i'm a rising junior at a midwestern university deciding between

engineering physics
-contemporary physics w/ lab
-electronics w/lab
-2 computational/math based physics courses
-minor in computer science
-concentration in materials physics (fluids mechEng, material physics lab, & physics therm courses)

physics
-contemporary physics w/ lab
-electronics w/lab
-2 computational/math based physics courses
-EM
-therm
-spectroscopy
-classical mechanics
-quantum mechanics
-materials physics
-gravitation & space-timei'm really undecided about what i'd like to do when i get older (job wise). i am 99% sure i will go to graduate school in physics, applied physics, or rather similar program. both degrees would allow me to finish in 4 years. i would love the more indepth physics curriculum but also feel a solid background in computer programming would do me well someday

thoughts or advice?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering physics with minor in computer science and concentration in materials physics would probably be the most marketable of the ones on your list. Also good for your grad school goals.

1. What is the difference between an Engineering Physics degree with a minor in Computer Science and a Bachelor of Science in Physics?

An Engineering Physics degree with a minor in Computer Science combines the principles of physics and engineering with a focus on computer science. This degree program is designed for students who are interested in applying physics concepts to solve real-world problems and also have a strong interest in computer science. On the other hand, a Bachelor of Science in Physics is a more traditional physics degree that focuses on the foundational principles and theories of physics.

2. What career opportunities are available with an Engineering Physics degree and a minor in Computer Science?

With this degree, graduates can pursue careers in various fields such as aerospace, energy, computer hardware and software development, data science, and many more. They can work as engineers, data analysts, research scientists, or in other technical roles that require a strong background in both physics and computer science.

3. Can I switch from an Engineering Physics degree with a minor in Computer Science to a Bachelor of Science in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to switch between these degree programs. However, it may require fulfilling additional requirements or taking extra courses to meet the specific curriculum of the Bachelor of Science in Physics program. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action.

4. What skills will I gain from an Engineering Physics degree with a minor in Computer Science?

Students in this program will develop strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a deep understanding of physics principles and their application to engineering and computer science. They will also gain proficiency in programming languages, data analysis, and computational methods, which are highly sought after skills in various industries.

5. Is an Engineering Physics degree with a minor in Computer Science a good choice for students interested in graduate studies?

Yes, this degree can be an excellent preparation for graduate studies in fields such as engineering, physics, computer science, or related areas. It provides a strong foundation in both physics and computer science, which are valuable skills for further academic pursuits and research.