1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comp Sci vs Comp Eng which one to get?

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    So im at the point in my university that if i take 5 Hardware classes ill become a Comp Eng, if i take 3 software classes ill become a Comp Sci.

I cant do both since to get both ill have to do 3 classes, in any and then 30 extra credits to get the other one.. So this wont be a option since i rather do a master than get an extra degree..

Im live in the US and i want to stay in it...

So far both degres look the same, both can potentially cover the exact same thing if picked the classes right...

So the question is strictly in salary and in job market.... which one is better in this area??

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I think either one will do, but if you like hardware then go the CE route.

4. Jul 6, 2012 #3
    Worth the extra. 2 clases for ce???

I like hardware equally than software.. Have done many thing in both...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  5. Jul 6, 2012 #4
    You might take a look at this site.

Do what you like, you seemed to have asked a similar question. I am not sure which one you seem to think you will like more, if they are both essentially the same, just finish with the computer science degree its faster.

In the end all that matters is the highest level of education you have earned. Go onto grad school sooner.

6. Jul 6, 2012 #5
    Both will take 2 semesters for cs I'll have to do 2 classes them 1 the other semester and on comp eng I'll do 3 and 2.

School won't let me take all 3 of cs at once, since one it's a preq of another

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook