1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question for comp sci majors or grads

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    Do your core comp sci courses require strong working knowledge of mathematics and physics?

I am transferring some undergrad credits from a physics program into a comp sci program, but
    my math and physics classes were about 10 years ago. I got A's in physics 1 and 2, calc 1, 2, 3, and diff eq, but I haven't touched those books in years.

If I jump into the comp sci degree, I'll be getting into the core comp sci classes (data structures, object oriented, operating systems, etc.

Here is a link to the program: http://www.admissions.wichita.edu/factsheets/Computer Science.pdf

How hard should I stress on restudying all of that math and physics before school starts in January?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2010 #2
    I wouldn't worry about it. IMO you shouldn't restudy those things before school starts.
    A. Most of the math we use is discrete math and logic. Some probability.
    B. Courses with emphasize on calculus/algebra/geometry/etc., like image processing, graphics, compression, etc., are not in your program.
    C. Physics & Diff. Equations aren't used _at all_ (at least not here).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook