Comp Sci vs Comp Eng which one to get?

• Thread starter SuperMiguel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    comp sci
In summary: So I have to take 2 then 1 for ce.In summary, the two degrees have the same amount of coursework, but the computer science degree is faster to earn.
SuperMiguel
So I am at the point in my university that if i take 5 Hardware classes ill become a Comp Eng, if i take 3 software classes ill become a Comp Sci.

I can't do both since to get both ill have to do 3 classes, in any and then 30 extra credits to get the other one.. So this won't be a option since i rather do a master than get an extra degree..

Im live in the US and i want to stay in it...

So far both degres look the same, both can potentially cover the exact same thing if picked the classes right...

So the question is strictly in salary and in job market... which one is better in this area??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think either one will do, but if you like hardware then go the CE route.

Worth the extra. 2 clases for ce?

I like hardware equally than software.. Have done many thing in both...

Last edited:
You might take a look at this site.

Do what you like, you seemed to have asked a similar question. I am not sure which one you seem to think you will like more, if they are both essentially the same, just finish with the computer science degree its faster.

In the end all that matters is the highest level of education you have earned. Go onto grad school sooner.

MathWarrior said:
You might take a look at this site.

Do what you like, you seemed to have asked a similar question. I am not sure which one you seem to think you will like more, if they are both essentially the same, just finish with the computer science degree its faster.

In the end all that matters is the highest level of education you have earned. Go onto grad school sooner.

Both will take 2 semesters for cs I'll have to do 2 classes them 1 the other semester and on comp eng I'll do 3 and 2.

School won't let me take all 3 of cs at once, since one it's a preq of another

1. What is the difference between Computer Science and Computer Engineering?

Computer Science (Comp Sci) is a field that focuses on the theoretical and mathematical foundations of computing, including algorithms, programming languages, data structures, and artificial intelligence. Computer Engineering (Comp Eng), on the other hand, deals with the physical components and design of computers and computer systems, such as microprocessors, circuits, and hardware integration.

2. Which degree is better for a career in software development?

Both Comp Sci and Comp Eng degrees can lead to careers in software development. However, Comp Sci may be better suited for those interested in software design, programming, and research, while Comp Eng may be more suitable for those interested in hardware and embedded systems development.

3. Is there a significant difference in job prospects for Comp Sci vs Comp Eng graduates?

While both degrees can lead to careers in the technology industry, the job prospects may differ slightly. Comp Sci graduates may have more opportunities in software development and research, while Comp Eng graduates may have more opportunities in hardware and systems engineering roles.

4. Can I switch between Comp Sci and Comp Eng after starting my degree?

It is possible to switch between Comp Sci and Comp Eng after starting your degree, but it may require additional coursework and time. Before making a switch, it is important to carefully consider your interests and career goals.

5. Which degree has a higher earning potential?

The earning potential for Comp Sci and Comp Eng graduates can vary depending on several factors, including job role, location, and experience. Generally, both degrees can lead to high-paying careers in the technology industry, but Comp Eng graduates may have a slight advantage in certain industries, such as hardware design and engineering.