1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science `

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1
    Hello, I'm new.

I'm 25 yrs old and am currently doing a M.S. in comp sci (after a BA in Chemistry/B.S. in math and concentration in physics).

My prof mainly wanted to go for Physical Chemistry; which as alluring as it may be, does not seem viable outside academia.

Thus, I chose comp sci and would like to do a thesis that pertains to computational physical science.

My questions are as follows:
    1) I really want to work in a scientific/engineering -type programming/software engineering job. Will my background + a thesis in this help?
    2) Do such jobs exists without PhD ?
    3) Would it help to take an addition Physical science class? (for example Theorhetical Mechanics/Math Physics/E&M) to widen my underlying knowledge?
    4) Is a thesis worth it, if I can't find a job within these specialties? I.E. will it demonstrate hard-work/ability to grasp complex matters?

Thank you,
    Michael

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2012 #2
    Background and skills/knowledge definitely help and are required. Thesis may help, but it's not that important unless you're doing it to solve a problem for a company for example.

Yes. The industry makes use of technical calculation and modelling. There are also some software jobs in scientific research and stuff like weather prediction and operations research.

If it interests you.

An employer is primarily interested in that you can do something that contributes to the revenue. It hasn't got much, if anything to do with academic merits or the ability to study hard and pass exams. What matters is that you know the stuff well that you need to know to do the job the you're applying for.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  4. Aug 8, 2012 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Back up a bit. There are several unclear points here that you neglected to mention.

1. "My prof" person, is this your academic advisor?

2. How are you able to do whatever you wish without consulting him/her and getting his/her approval? Where exactly do you going to school that you are able to get away with such a thing? Don't you need someone to supervise your thesis AND sign-off on it?

3. Being able to find a job is location dependent. A Ph.D in nanotechnology may be in-demand in silicon valley, but it is utterly useless in the Congo. You neglected to indicate where you are, or where you will be seeking a job.

Zz.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook