M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science `

In summary, Michael is looking for a career change and is wondering if his background and a thesis on computational physical science can help. He has some questions about the feasibility of this path and whether or not a thesis is worth it.
Mizt
Hello, I'm new.

I'm 25 yrs old and am currently doing a M.S. in comp sci (after a BA in Chemistry/B.S. in math and concentration in physics).

My prof mainly wanted to go for Physical Chemistry; which as alluring as it may be, does not seem viable outside academia.

Thus, I chose comp sci and would like to do a thesis that pertains to computational physical science.

My questions are as follows:
1) I really want to work in a scientific/engineering -type programming/software engineering job. Will my background + a thesis in this help?
2) Do such jobs exists without PhD ?
3) Would it help to take an addition Physical science class? (for example Theorhetical Mechanics/Math Physics/E&M) to widen my underlying knowledge?
4) Is a thesis worth it, if I can't find a job within these specialties? I.E. will it demonstrate hard-work/ability to grasp complex matters?

Thank you,
Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Mizt said:
1) I really want to work in a scientific/engineering -type programming/software engineering job. Will my background + a thesis in this help?

Background and skills/knowledge definitely help and are required. Thesis may help, but it's not that important unless you're doing it to solve a problem for a company for example.

Mizt said:
2) Do such jobs exists without PhD ?

Yes. The industry makes use of technical calculation and modelling. There are also some software jobs in scientific research and stuff like weather prediction and operations research.

Mizt said:
3) Would it help to take an addition Physical science class? (for example Theorhetical Mechanics/Math Physics/E&M) to widen my underlying knowledge?

If it interests you.

Mizt said:
4) Is a thesis worth it, if I can't find a job within these specialties? I.E. will it demonstrate hard-work/ability to grasp complex matters?

An employer is primarily interested in that you can do something that contributes to the revenue. It hasn't got much, if anything to do with academic merits or the ability to study hard and pass exams. What matters is that you know the stuff well that you need to know to do the job the you're applying for.

Last edited:
Mizt said:
Hello, I'm new.

I'm 25 yrs old and am currently doing a M.S. in comp sci (after a BA in Chemistry/B.S. in math and concentration in physics).

My prof mainly wanted to go for Physical Chemistry; which as alluring as it may be, does not seem viable outside academia.

Thus, I chose comp sci and would like to do a thesis that pertains to computational physical science.

Back up a bit. There are several unclear points here that you neglected to mention.

1. "My prof" person, is this your academic advisor?

2. How are you able to do whatever you wish without consulting him/her and getting his/her approval? Where exactly do you going to school that you are able to get away with such a thing? Don't you need someone to supervise your thesis AND sign-off on it?

3. Being able to find a job is location dependent. A Ph.D in nanotechnology may be in-demand in silicon valley, but it is utterly useless in the Congo. You neglected to indicate where you are, or where you will be seeking a job.

Zz.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of a M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science?

A M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science is a research project that serves as the final requirement for earning a Master of Science degree in Computer Science with a concentration in Physical Science. The purpose of this thesis is to demonstrate a student's mastery of both computer science and physical science concepts, and to contribute original research to the field.

2. What are some potential topics for a M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science?

Some potential topics for a M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science include computer simulations of physical phenomena, data analysis and visualization in physical science research, and the development of software tools for analyzing physical science data. Other possible topics could include the application of machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques to physical science problems.

3. What is the typical structure of a M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science?

A M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science typically consists of an introduction that outlines the research problem and objectives, a literature review that provides background information and context for the research, a methodology section that describes the methods used to conduct the research, a results section that presents the findings, and a conclusion that summarizes the main points and implications of the research.

4. How long does it take to complete a M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science?

The time it takes to complete a M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science can vary depending on the individual student and their research topic. On average, it can take anywhere from 1-2 years to complete the thesis, including the research and writing process.

5. Can a M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science be published in a scientific journal?

Yes, a M.S. Comp Sci thesis on Physical Science can be published in a scientific journal if the research is of high quality and contributes significantly to the field. However, it is not a requirement and the decision to publish is up to the individual student and their advisor.