Compactness of a set of feasible solutions

  • Thread starter Thread starter gjones89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Set
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
gjones89
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

I am working on a problem in Operations Research but I need to prove a property related to compactness of a set. Although I expect it is quite elementary, I have never studied Analysis at an advanced level so am not sure how to do it.

I have an optimisation problem in which a feasible solution may be expressed as a set of real numbers [itex]\{\lambda_1,\lambda_2,...,\lambda_n\}[/itex] which satisfies the following constraints:

[itex]\sum\limits_{i=1}^n \lambda_i\leq \lambda[/itex] (here [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a positive real number),

[itex]\lambda_i\geq 0[/itex] for all [itex]i\in\{1,2,...,N\}[/itex].

The problem is I need to prove that the set of feasible solutions satisfying the above constraints is a compact set (closed and bounded), because this will enable me to prove that an optimal solution exists to the optimisation problem I am working on. I am sure this is probably quite standard and perhaps someone might be able to point me towards a theorem somewhere which will give me what I need, or just provide an outline of the proof if it is simple.

Thanks a lot!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the solution set [itex]\{\lambda_1,\lambda_2,...,\lambda_n\}[/itex] consists of a finite set of points, then it is certainly compact. The closed interval ##[0,\lambda]## that contains all possible solutions is also a compact space.
 
Hi,

Sorry, I think I may not have explained it well enough. By 'set of feasible solutions' I mean the set of all sets [itex]\{\lambda_1,\lambda_2,...,\lambda_n\}[/itex] satisfying the constraints [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i\leq \lambda[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_i\geq 0[/itex] for all [itex]i\in\{1,2,...,N\}[/itex]. This set will obviously be infinite (and uncountable), as there are infinitely many possible combinations [itex]\{\lambda_1,\lambda_2,...,\lambda_n\}[/itex] that satisfy these constraints.

To put it another way, I am trying to prove compactness of the following set:

[itex]\left\{(\lambda_1,\lambda_2,...,\lambda_n)\in\mathbb{R}^n:\sum\limits_{i=1}^n \lambda_i\leq \lambda\text{ and }\lambda_i\geq 0\text{ for all }i\right\}.[/itex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a positive real number.

Thanks for your help!
 
Last edited:
gjones89 said:
Hi,

Sorry, I think I may not have explained it well enough. By 'set of feasible solutions' I mean the set of all sets [itex]\{\lambda_1,\lambda_2,...,\lambda_n\}[/itex] satisfying the constraints [itex]\sum_{i=1}^n \lambda_i\leq \lambda[/itex] and [itex]\lambda_i\geq 0[/itex] for all [itex]i\in\{1,2,...,N\}[/itex]. This set will obviously be infinite (and uncountable), as there are infinitely many possible combinations [itex]\{\lambda_1,\lambda_2,...,\lambda_n\}[/itex] that satisfy these constraints.

To put it another way, I am trying to prove compactness of the following set:

[itex]\left\{(\lambda_1,\lambda_2,...,\lambda_n)\in\mathbb{R}^n:\sum\limits_{i=1}^n \lambda_i\leq \lambda\text{ and }\lambda_i\geq 0\text{ for all }i\right\}.[/itex]

where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a positive real number.

Thanks for your help!

It's just Bolzano-Weierstrass, isn't it? Closed and bounded.