1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Measure defined on Borel sets that it is finite on compact sets

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    The problem statement

Let ##\mu## be a measure defined on the Borel sets of ##\mathbb R^n## such that ##\mu## is finite on the compact sets. Let ##\mathcal H## be the class of Borel sets ##E## such that:

a)##\mu(E)=inf\{\mu(G), E \subset G\}##, where ##G## is open.

b)##\mu(E)=sup\{\mu(K), K \subset E\}##, where ##K## is compact.

Prove the following:

i. The open and compact sets belong to ##\mathcal H##.

ii. If ##\mu## is finite, ##\mathcal H## is a ##\sigma-##algebra.

iii. ##\mathcal H## coincides with the ##\sigma-##algebra of Borel.

The attempt at a solution

For i., maybe I could find an increasing sequence of compact sets ##\{K_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}##(##K_n \subset K_{n+1}##) such that all are contained in ##E##, the problem is that I don't know how to construct this sequence; I suppose that, in an analogous way, I can construct a decreasing sequence of open sets ##\{G_n\}_{n \in \mathbb N}## (##G_{n+1} \subset G_n##) such that ##E## is contained in all of them.

For ii., it's easy to verify that ##\emptyset \in \mathcal H##, it remains to prove that if ##E \in \mathcal H##, then ##E^c \in \mathcal H##, and that if ##E_n \in \mathcal H## for a sequence of sets, then ##\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} E_n \in \mathcal H##. I couldn't prove that the complement of ##E## must be in ##\mathcal H##, I'll write what I did for countable unions:

Suppose ##E_n \in \mathcal H## for a sequence of sets, call ##E=\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} E_n##. By hypothesis, we have that ##\mu(E_n)## is finite for each ##n##. Given ##\epsilon>0##, we can choose for each ##n##, an open set ##G_n## : ##\mu(G_n)\leq \mu(E_n)+\dfrac{\epsilon}{2^n}##, if I call ##G=\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb N} G_n##, then ##E \subset G## and ##\mu(G) \leq \mu(E)+ \epsilon##. This means that ##\mu(E)## satisfies a). Analogously, we can show that ##\mu(E)## satisfies b), from here it follows ##E \in \mathcal H##.

For iii., assuming I could prove i., I can say that ##B \subset \mathcal H## since the open sets are contained in ##\mathcal H##, it remains to show that ##\mathcal H \subset B##.

I am pretty stuck in all three items, I would appreciate some help with this exercise and if someone could tell me if what I did for countable unions in ii. is correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You need to use that ##E## is actually compact (or open). So take ##E## compact. Then (b) shouldn't be too difficult. For ##A##, perhaps you should think of

[tex]\{x\in \mathbb{R}^n~\vert~d(x,E)<1/n\}[/tex]

Take an ##E\in \mathcal{H}##. Let's prove ##(a)## for ##E^c##. You must find an open set ##G## such that ##E^c\subseteq G## and such that ##\mu(G) - \varepsilon<\mu(E^c)##. Take complements, then you need to find a certain closed subset of ##E##. Use that ##E\in \mathcal{H}## to find this.

I don't see why ##\mu(E_n)## is finite.

Not sure if this is easy to see. We don't have necessarily that the ##G_n## and ##E_n## are pairswise disjoint. So you might not be able to use ##\sigma##-additivity.

But ##\mu## is a Borel measure, so it's only defined on the Borel sets.

4. Mar 4, 2014 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you are trying to go too fast here. Let's just stick with i) for a while. You are dealing with ##\mathbb R^n##. You probably know a lot about ##\mathbb R^n##. You probably know Heine-Borel. Use that to attack i).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted