Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Companies are just big disfunctional familes

1. Sep 21, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have come to the conclusion that nearly all companies having more than a four or five employees are just like seriously disfunctional familes. There is always at least one trouble-maker and backstabber. People deny what they know to be true when they think that they might otherwise take some heat. People make up answers when they don't know what to say. There is constant bickering and fighting. And when anything goes wrong, everyone wants to point the finger at someone else.

Yes, it was a rough day. I have a unique job in that I get very familiar...no, too familiar with the internal workings of my customers; since I have to spend so much time on site working closely with personnel. Over the years I have learned that a big part of my job is to ride out the storms and try to be diplomatic when everyone around is panicking and lashing out. Right now I am on a big job invoving millions of dollars, and we are in the painful last stages of R&D - the part where everything has to work correctly. I do this every day, but for most of my customers this is a rare and huge event.

But cripes, I sure get tired of the bullsht!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2006 #2
    [​IMG]

If you want change, you have to take action! No one will ever backstab around you again!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  4. Sep 21, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't know how you do it Ivan. I get similarly involved with my clients, unfortunately I work for a behemoth company that couldn't care less if they destroy some poor company, well, at least my provisioning support would leave me to believe that.

5. Sep 22, 2006 #4
    i've found that math departments are like that also. for example i've been severely ****ed around on purpose for a very long time now for no apparent reason by some of those "professionals" (at ****ing ppl around anyway). this pic reminds me i haven't seen falling down in a long time. instead of michael douglas it could just as easily be me :frown:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  6. Sep 22, 2006 #5

J77

People love to b1tch :biggrin:

7. Sep 22, 2006 #6

Astronuc

Yeah, Ivan, I'd have to agree with you. Some of the stuff that goes on is unbelieveable - it makes soap operas look lame.

Several contacts at one company have moved on because management was so bad. One guy, who is perhaps the most conscientious person I have ever met, simply just stopped coming to work - it was so bad! :surprised

8. Sep 22, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's just that there are plenty of people like that...that's how their families end up dysfunctional too. The larger the company, the more likely you'll wind up with more of them, and the easier for them to linger out of sight and notice of the bosses so they don't get fired when they annoy the boss one too many times.

9. Sep 22, 2006 #8
    My two best friends are my boss and the other guy in the company. There's never been any backstabbing and the only real arguments sound like this:
    "I only worked 35 hours this week but you paid me for 40"
    "You forgot to add in the 5 hours from Saturday"
    "You mean the 5 hours in the bar in Sedona where you bought all the drinks?"
    "We were all there so it must have been business related."

a good work environment is worth as much as any benefit or pay scale.

10. Sep 22, 2006 #9

Tsu

Gold Member

Large companies and corporations are the pure embodiment of the Peter Principle.

"The Peter Principle is a colloquial principle of hierarchiology, stated as "In a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence."

-Wikipedia

I've made up my own. :biggrin:

Tsu's Lament - There's always at least ONE 'dickhead'. :biggrin:

11. Sep 22, 2006 #10
    Tsu's Lament doesn't work cause my company only has three people in it and neither of the guys I work with is a dickhead so that means..that means. dammit nevermind

12. Sep 22, 2006 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is my data that guns are dangerous. :biggrin: Just playing. :tongue:

Actually, I learned in business school that there is this common accepted concept that is called the 20:80 rule. It means that 20% of the workers do 80% of the work, and the other 80% do 20% of the work.

I'm guessing this rule applies for companies with more than 5 employees. :devil:

13. Sep 22, 2006 #12

Astronuc

I work in a small private company too. The people I work with, including the CEO, the President and VPs, are all great people for whom I have a great deal of respect. It's almost like being self-employed except I have support from the company so I don't have to worry about the financial (taxes, insurance, retirement, . . .) nitty-gritty. Everybody in the company works hard - while we book 40 hrs a week, we work 48-60 hrs because that's the nature of the business.

I wouldn't work for a large company however. I've seen first hand what goes on, and I don't need that kind of aggravation. I left a larger company (my division was bought by a large company) because of the way they treated employees - like machines, plus I had a conflict with management.

At the previous company, one of the presidents wanted the company to buy a condominium for business purposes - but that pretty much meant the he and his family would use it as a second home! I was livid when I learned about that. :mad: The company had purchased places in box at some stadium and season tickets - but that again was for the president. :grumpy: Needless to say, the company took a nosedive, and my division got sold. That was right after we changed presidents and then found out that the President and principal VP (who replaced the president) hated each other, and never spoke to one another. :rolleyes:

14. Sep 22, 2006 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Working for a big company is fantastic for me at the moment. I wanted to go out and see some customers in Turkey. I started asking my boss "will you pay for me to go to visit some customers in...." and before I'd finished, he butted in and said "the answer's yes, just don't tell me how much it costs".

I'd never get this level of training working for a small company, nor the opportunity to work in so many different business environments in such a small space of time. Wooop!

15. Sep 22, 2006 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's a good point too.

Have fun in Turkey! :smile:

16. Sep 22, 2006 #15

russ_watters

It's worse when the company is a family. My boss hired his son last year....

17. Sep 22, 2006 #16

turbo

Gold Member

So true! There is not a bad character trait that cannot be worsened by nepotism.

18. Sep 22, 2006 #17
    not even nepotism?

19. Sep 22, 2006 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's more that 20% of the people do 80% of the work, 60% of the people do 19.9% of the work, and the remaining 20% of the people sit around making personal calls, playing solitaire on the computer, and do 0.1% of the work, but only because that's how frequently the boss walks past their desk.

:rofl:

20. Sep 22, 2006 #19

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wrote a proof of this theorem at school. :mad:

Maybe I'll re-write it later tonight.

Moonbear's Theorem shall be reborned.

21. Sep 22, 2006 #20

Evo

Actually, in business, the 20:80 rule is that 20% of your customers bring in 80% of your business. http://www.abanet.org/lpm/lpt/articles/mkt08052.html

I've seen it applied to everything imaginable. It originally had to do with the distribution of wealth within a population.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?