Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Companies that make an existing product robust

1. Jul 5, 2016 #1

ftr

Are there such companies that specialize in making existing products reliable and safe. Thanks.

P.S. I have a patent that I need to improve.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No: that is far too general. It is like asking if there are any companies that specialize in opinions: everybody does it.
    Any engineering firm in the field your patent falls into will be able to advise you.

4. Jul 5, 2016 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't seem like much of a patent if you need someone else to design the product for you...

5. Jul 6, 2016 #4

ftr

I already hold the patent and I have a working system. You don't seem to have any idea about engineering, there is a difference between having a working prototype and making it reliable with reduced meantime failure.

6. Jul 6, 2016 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Lot depends on the product. These days there are a lot of international standards products have to meet. They are different for different fields. Eg those for tractors are very different to consumer electronics.

Unless you are very rich your best bet it to find a company that designs similar products and do some sort of licensing deal.

7. Jul 6, 2016 #6

ftr

As a solo inventor I don't have the resources and the expertise that professional system integrators have( but typically these companies use off the shelf products for manufacturing and such). Moreover, my patent is related to construction industry, but many of these products are very unique and not produced in large scale, so expertise as such is much less. But yes I am looking for a company for a modest cost to help me make my product more reliable, sometimes small changes in metal type can make a big difference.

8. Jul 6, 2016 #7

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let us see the patent and some pictures of your prototype .

9. Jul 6, 2016 #8

ftr

I cannot divulge the information now for legal reasons. But It is in the same class as this one( but mine is much more versatile)

also this machine is inappropriate for many markets.

10. Jul 6, 2016 #9

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We can't provide any more help unless you're specific in your needs, but even in that case all I can really do is say you'll need to hire a professional engineer to give you some advice on whether your product can be improved, and in what ways.

Good luck.

11. Jul 6, 2016 #10

JBA

You say: "I cannot divulge the information now for legal reasons."; but, be aware, if you already have a patent, that patent is a now public document that can be identified and a copy obtained, with a bit of effort by anyone who is truly interested, by doing an search at the uspto website, and searching with its category and, if you have given your correct initials, using those for a matching with your patent's listed first and last name.

12. Jul 6, 2016 #11

ftr

Thanks for all of you. I did find few companies that will help me through google, I just thought somebody here might have come across them.
    an example

http://www.3formdesign.com/inventors/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted