Comparing LSU and ULL: Deciding My EE Degree Path

In summary, Dave is a student living in Louisiana and attending community college. He is looking to transfer to a larger school to obtain his E.E. degree without going into a large amount of debt. His top two choices are LSU and ULL, with ULL seeming to have a more EE-driven curriculum. He has been reading up on both schools and is leaning towards ULL, but is also considering the impact on his relationship with his fiance who is starting a different program at NSULA. He is seeking advice and insight on which school would be the best fit for him.
sydneyfranke
Hello everyone,

My name is Dave. I live in Louisiana and am currently attending a community college in the town that I live in. I am looking to transfer to a larger school in order to work to obtaining my E.E. degree. I cannot afford (not do I really wish) to go into a large amount of debt through out of state tuition fees so I am trying to decide which college within Louisiana will give me the best education and prepare me for the job market. I am hoping that one (or many) of you can assist me in this decision.

My two choices are LSU and ULL (University of LA @ Lafayette). My original choice was LSU simply because it's our state's flagship university and I have family there. I have been reading up on ULL's program and it seems to be very well suited as well. The flow chart for ULL seems to have more EE driven courses throughout the curriculum and is why I feel like I am leaning more towards their program. The links to each school's flow chart are as follows:

LSU: http://www.ece.lsu.edu/wp/?page_id=45
ULL: http://ee.louisiana.edu/advising.shtml

I have been reading the Princeton Review on both colleges. The teacher to student ratio is about the same being 21:1. ULL's tuition is slightly higher (by about $300 per year), but they rate their academics higher at "70" opposed to "68" at LSU. I would assume that LSU has the larger budget being a larger school, but that could be wrong seeing as there are more places for the budget to get spread out.

Also, I guess to add a little more back story, my fiance' is starting her M.S. Nursing program this semester @ NSULA (Northwestern State). ULL also has a MSN program that from what I can tell is pretty good. LSU does not have this program and therefor conflicts with her career plans. We have already discussed me moving to Baton Rouge to continue my studies while she stayed behind to finish up her school, but this discovery of ULL's program has sort of thrown a wrench into the plans.

Any help or insight that you guys (or gals) could give me would be greatly appreciated. I know that going out of state would be, educationally, my best option; but I really can't see myself going $200,000 in debt when I can get a degree for roughly $40,000. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FWIW (For What It's Worth), I glanced at ULL's ECE Faculty/Staff/Technicians List:
http://ee.louisiana.edu/faculty.shtml

...And the ECE Faculty list at LSU:
http://www.ece.lsu.edu/wp/?page_id=603

That's a really small program at ULL. I would personalize be more biased towards the larger program because there'd be more people in it (and thus more undergrad student / project groups, better-equipped labs, and more resources at the library), the faculty are more likely to be researchers who teach (as opposed to teachers who research), and a better diversity of technical electives. Then again, some people would choose a smaller program for some of the exact opposite programs: more intimacy, teachers who incidentally (hopefully) research, and (slightly) cheaper tuition.

A friend of mine is at LSU in ECE doing his Ph.D. in micro/nanotechnology (he says the program / facilities are still "building up" in this particular field), but that and the above generalities are the only things I can provide (so hopefully, someone else can come in with another response). I notice that Natchioches (NSULA) is 3 hours away from Baton Rouge, while Lafayette is only 1 hour from Baton Rouge (at least, according to Google maps). I can't really comment on the distance-relationship thing, but this may be food for thought.

Good luck with your decision!

EDIT: And welcome to PhysicsForums!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much. This is the exact kind of insight that I was hoping for. I was beginning to think my question was too specific and no one would take a shot at posting something.

As far as the relationship thing goes, we are actually in Alexandria where NSULA has a campus. So that, combined with online classes, is where she is going to school (and I'm attending LSUA). Regardless of where I go I believe she is just going to finish it out there. By the time I will be ready to transfer she will have about a year left (and what's a year?) so that subject is really not going to effect my decision.

Oh, and thanks for the welcome. I have a feeling that I will be coming to this forum very frequently from now on and look forward to the day when I can start providing answers to the questions that come up.

Last edited:

1. What are the main differences between LSU and ULL's EE degree programs?

The main difference between LSU and ULL's EE degree programs lies in their curriculum and areas of focus. LSU's program offers a more traditional, broad-based approach with a focus on core electrical engineering concepts, while ULL's program has a more specialized focus on computer engineering and telecommunications.

2. Which university has a better reputation for their EE program?

Both LSU and ULL have reputable EE programs, but LSU tends to have a slightly higher overall ranking and reputation in the field of engineering. However, ULL's program may have a stronger reputation in certain subfields, such as computer engineering.

3. What are the job prospects for graduates of LSU and ULL's EE programs?

Graduates from both LSU and ULL's EE programs have strong job prospects in various industries, including technology, telecommunications, and energy. LSU's program may have a slight advantage in job opportunities due to its larger size and reputation, but both universities have strong connections with industry partners and offer valuable hands-on experiences for students.

4. How do the tuition costs compare between LSU and ULL for their EE programs?

LSU and ULL's tuition costs for their EE programs are relatively similar for in-state students, with LSU being slightly more expensive. However, for out-of-state students, LSU's tuition is significantly higher than ULL's. It's important to consider financial aid and scholarship opportunities when comparing tuition costs.

5. What are the research opportunities available for EE students at LSU and ULL?

Both LSU and ULL offer a variety of research opportunities for EE students, including undergraduate research programs and partnerships with industry and government agencies. However, LSU may have a slight advantage in terms of funding and resources for research projects. It's important to research the specific research areas and opportunities available at each university to determine which aligns better with your interests.