Having a tough choice between EE and Physics degree

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision between a major in physics or electrical engineering. The individual is interested in pushing their mathematics skills to the level of a physics degree and is also intrigued by modern physics. They have experience in electronic circuit design and are considering the practicality of an electrical engineering degree versus the excitement of a physics major. They are seeking recommendations for a 4-year degree and are advised to consider their career goals and specific areas of interest. The speaker, an electrical engineer, shares their own experience of struggling to choose between the two majors and ultimately choosing electrical engineering due to job opportunities.
CrunchBerries
I know this subject has been beaten to death, and I have been reading many threads here on this very subject.

I have the opportunity to select one of these majors. The physics program seems like the most interesting. The EE is more in my current career experience as a technician, also very interesting, but its hard to tell if it will be more interesting once the final year kicks in.

1. I definitely want to push the mathematics to the physics degree level. (PDEs, vector analysis)

2. Modern physics seem so interesting to me, I would LOVE to get an introduction to that.

3. I am very proficient in electronic circuit design and function, it seems like EE would be in my current realm.

Overall, I am having a hard time picking a major/honours. The EE program seems more practical/logical, and the Physics major seems more interesting/exciting.

What is your recommendation for a 4 year degree? Engineering Physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Before picking a major, you should think about what you want to do once you finish your 4 year degree. What kind of job do you want? Do you plan on going to graduate school? What specific areas interest you?

Regarding classes in electrical engineering departments, I'm not sure what the programs are like where you are attending, but some electrical engineering departments certainly have plenty of 1) and 2) on your list above. I am an electrical engineer and certainly took vector calculus, ordinary and partial differential equations, 3 semesters of lower division physics, a semester of analytical mechanics, 2 semesters of upper division engineering electromagnetic theory, a semester of quantum and solid state electronics (a second semester was also available), a semester of complex analysis, etc. Different schools have different requirements, so you may not have all of these options. Look at your curriculum and possible electives carefully; you may be able to do more in EE than you think.
Good luck.

Jason

EDIT: by the way, I had a hard time selecting between electrical engineering and engineering physics as an undergrad. I was mostly interested in applied electromagnetic theory, which could equally be done in either major. I picked electrical engineering because it was likely to be easier to find a job with that degree. I live in the USA, by the way.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint

1. What is the difference between an EE and Physics degree?

The main difference between an Electrical Engineering (EE) and Physics degree is the focus of the curriculum. EE programs focus on the application of physics principles to design and develop electronic systems and devices. Physics programs, on the other hand, focus on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

2. Which degree is better for a career in research?

Both EE and Physics degrees can lead to careers in research. However, a Physics degree may be better suited for research in theoretical and fundamental areas of physics, while an EE degree may be better for research in applied areas such as electronics, energy, and communications.

3. Will one degree offer more job opportunities than the other?

Both EE and Physics degrees can lead to a wide range of job opportunities. EE graduates may find jobs in industries such as telecommunications, power systems, and computer engineering, while Physics graduates may find jobs in areas such as research, academia, and technology development. Ultimately, the job opportunities available will depend on the individual's skills, interests, and experience.

4. Can I switch between EE and Physics during my studies?

It may be possible to switch between EE and Physics during your studies, depending on your university's policies and the similarities between the two programs. However, it is important to carefully consider the differences in curriculum and career paths before making a switch to ensure that it aligns with your goals and interests.

5. Which degree is more challenging?

Both EE and Physics degrees can be challenging, but it ultimately depends on the individual's strengths and interests. EE may be more challenging for those who struggle with math and physics, while Physics may be more challenging for those who struggle with abstract reasoning and problem-solving. It is important to carefully consider your strengths and interests when choosing between the two degrees.