Comparing the real (integer part) of a number.

• Thread starter mtayab1994
  • Start date
In summary, the discussion is about comparing E(x+y) and E(x)+E(y), where E() refers to the real integer part of a number, for all real numbers x and y. It is suggested to split the comparison into three cases: both x and y are positive, both are negative, and one of them is negative. Through an example and reference to the floor function, it is concluded that E(x+y) is greater than or equal to E(x)+E(y) in the case of both positive numbers. A proof is then provided based on information from Wikipedia.
mtayab1994

Homework Statement

Compare between E(x+y) and E(x)+E(y) for every real number x and y.

E() refers to the real integer part of the number.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know that we have to split it up into 3 cases. One for which both are positive, both negative, and one of them is negative. For example I know when we have x and y greater than 0 we get E(x+y)≥E(x)+E(y) because let's take x=1.5 and y=1.6 then E(1.5+1.6)= 3 and
E(1.5)+E(1.6)= 2. Can anyone help me come up with a proof for this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas.

Alright Thank You I came up with a proof from what i read on wiki.

1. What is the real (integer part) of a number?

The real (integer part) of a number is the part of the number that is to the left of the decimal point. It represents the whole number portion of the number without any decimal values.

2. How do you find the real (integer part) of a number?

To find the real (integer part) of a number, you can simply remove the decimal and any numbers to the right of it. This will leave you with the whole number portion of the number, which is the real (integer part).

3. Can the real (integer part) of a number be negative?

Yes, the real (integer part) of a number can be negative. This occurs when the number itself is negative, or when the decimal portion of the number is negative.

4. What is the difference between the real (integer part) and the whole number of a number?

The real (integer part) and the whole number of a number are essentially the same thing. Both represent the whole number portion of a number without any decimal values. However, the term "real" is often used when discussing complex numbers, while the term "whole number" is more commonly used in basic math concepts.

5. Why is it important to compare the real (integer part) of a number?

Comparing the real (integer part) of a number can help us understand the magnitude of the number and make comparisons between different numbers easier. It can also help us identify patterns and relationships between numbers.