1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparing toughness of physics grad schools

1. Mar 26, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Comparing "toughness" of physics grad schools

I was wondering if anyone knows any good ways of finding out how one's courses (specifically grad classes) stacks up against other universities? My undergrad courses were probably a 5 on a 1-10 scale of what i can imagine would be the typical difficulties you'd see in an American university. Now I enter into my grad first semester QM course and a friend of mine who already received his MS tells me and a couple friends that this professor who teaches the course attempts to put the difficulty at what you'd see at a place like MIT or Princeton. I thought "yah, right, whatever". I start the semester off thinking that hey, it's grad school, it's going to be a new ballgame, a step up, etc etc. From the get-go this class has been like a shotgun blast to the face yet I'm achieving better grades on assignments than ever before (our midterm we just took, I may have been the only one to finish). Thus, I'm really wondering if my friend was right and now I'm looking to see if theres a way to actually compare my program or at least my course with courses at top universities. I highly doubt universities publish their grad course homeworks/test/lectures...

The thinking behind my professor bumping up the difficulty is supposedly so that since you can only get a MS at my university, they want to produce students that are of the caliber of students entering into any PhD program in the country and wouldn't have to play catchup.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Mar 26, 2009 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Re: Comparing "toughness" of physics grad schools

Nice, that prof uses Sakurai too :)

5. Mar 26, 2009 #4
    Re: Comparing "toughness" of physics grad schools

im surprised they use modern sakurai and not advanced sakurai.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook