Comparison of T, E and V in different states?

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the change in energy when a box containing an explosion does not deform. The initial solution chosen by the student is a and e, but there is some debate on whether c should also be chosen due to the possibility of sound energy escaping the box in less than 0.1 seconds.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

6A9Komd.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I currently think that a and e are correct. But I am not sure what happens to the energy IN THE BOX. When the box explodes, the energy of the contents changes from potential to thermal, sound and kinetic energy. Thus by conservation of energy there is no change in energy of the contents...

Am I right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
There's probably some debate room on a few of these. But why did you check a) if they specifically said in a box that will contain the explosion without deformation? And if you say there is no change in the energy inside the box, why didn't you check c)? Not sure I get the logic here. Surely ONE of b,c or d must be true? I mean they contain all possibilities.

Last edited:
Dick said:
There's probably some debate room on a few of these. But why did you check a) if they specifically said in a box that will contain the explosion without deformation? And if you say there is no change in the energy inside the box, why didn't you check c)? Not sure I get the logic here.

OH, I totally did not see that. Alright so the volume remains constant, and the temperature increases drastically. In those 0.1s, the energy is conserved so I will pick c and e.

theBEAST said:
OH, I totally did not see that. Alright so the volume remains constant, and the temperature increases drastically. In those 0.1s, the energy is conserved so I will pick c and e.

That's plausible and probably approximately correct. But if you've got sound energy generated inside the box it could probably get out in less that 0.1 sec, yes? This the 'debatable' thing.

I would say that the comparison of temperature (T), energy (E), and volume (V) in different states is an important aspect of understanding the behavior of matter. When the box explodes, the energy of the contents does indeed change from potential to thermal, sound, and kinetic energy. This is due to the conversion of potential energy into other forms of energy, as predicted by the law of conservation of energy. However, it is also important to consider the changes in temperature and volume of the contents in this scenario. The increase in temperature and decrease in volume of the contents can be explained by the increase in kinetic energy and decrease in potential energy, respectively. Overall, this comparison highlights the interplay between temperature, energy, and volume in different states of matter and how they are all interconnected.

1. What is the purpose of comparing T, E, and V in different states?

The purpose of comparing T (temperature), E (energy), and V (volume) in different states is to understand the relationships and behaviors of these variables under various conditions. This can help in studying the properties of different substances, predicting their behavior, and designing experiments or technologies that utilize these properties.

2. How do T, E, and V change in different states?

T, E, and V can change in different states due to factors such as pressure, temperature, and chemical composition. For example, as a substance changes from solid to liquid to gas, the temperature and energy will increase while the volume will also increase due to the expansion of particles. Additionally, different substances may have varying responses to changes in these variables.

3. What is the significance of comparing T, E, and V in different states?

Comparing T, E, and V in different states is significant because it allows us to understand the behavior of substances in different environments. This knowledge can be applied in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to develop new materials, processes, and technologies.

4. How is the comparison of T, E, and V in different states useful in everyday life?

The comparison of T, E, and V in different states is useful in everyday life in many ways. For instance, it helps us understand the changes in matter that occur during cooking, boiling water, or using a refrigerator. It also helps us in understanding weather phenomena, such as the formation of clouds and rain, and in predicting the behavior of substances in different industrial processes.

5. What are some common methods used to compare T, E, and V in different states?

Some common methods used to compare T, E, and V in different states include experiments, calculations, and simulations. These methods allow scientists to observe and measure the changes in these variables under controlled conditions and compare them to theoretical or predicted values. Additionally, advanced techniques such as spectroscopy and microscopy can also be used to analyze the properties and behavior of substances in different states.