1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Comparison of T, E and V in different states?

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    6A9Komd.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    I currently think that a and e are correct. But I am not sure what happens to the energy IN THE BOX. When the box explodes, the energy of the contents changes from potential to thermal, sound and kinetic energy. Thus by conservation of energy there is no change in energy of the contents...

Am I right?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's probably some debate room on a few of these. But why did you check a) if they specifically said in a box that will contain the explosion without deformation? And if you say there is no change in the energy inside the box, why didn't you check c)? Not sure I get the logic here. Surely ONE of b,c or d must be true? I mean they contain all possibilities.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. Feb 2, 2013 #3
    OH, I totally did not see that. Alright so the volume remains constant, and the temperature increases drastically. In those 0.1s, the energy is conserved so I will pick c and e.

5. Feb 2, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's plausible and probably approximately correct. But if you've got sound energy generated inside the box it could probably get out in less that 0.1 sec, yes? This the 'debatable' thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook