1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complements of Ranges and Domains

1. Oct 16, 2012 #1
    Given is the function of Set V towards Set W where A is a subset of V and B is a subset of W.

Questions:
    Does the range of the complement of A equal the complement of the range of A?
    Does the domain of the complement of B equal the complement of the domain of B?

I am not entirely sure how to answer this question.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Or, apparently, even how to state it. What is B, just any subset of W? If A is a subset what does the "range of A" mean? What is the "domain of a set"?

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    I am sorry if I didn't formulate the question properly, I had to translate this from Dutch, I don't know if range and domain are the proper terms. The question is about any function in general from V to W without any further specifications.

I would think that these statements are both untrue, because all the elements in Set V and Set W are not necessarily paired, except when we are specifically talking about a bijection. Am I right?

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that you may mean image rather than range, and pre-image rather than domain.

Giving:

Does the image of the complement of A equal the complement of the image of A?

Does the pre-image of the complement of B equal the complement of the pre-image of B?

6. Oct 17, 2012 #5
    Yes, that is right.

I didn't know the English translation of these terms, although now I see that the Dutch word is a literal translation of the word image. Pre-image is called the complete image in Dutch.

7. Oct 17, 2012 #6
    Searching for preimage I found that the second rule is true: http://mathprelims.wordpress.com/category/topology/page/2/

I think that this must be true, because for every x in V there is only one y. But the other one is not true, because there can be more than one x's in V that have the same y in W.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook