Comples analysis - Radius of convergence of a Taylor series question

In summary, to find the radius of convergence for the Taylor series at z=1 of the function 1/(e^z - 1), we can use the fact that the radius of convergence is the distance from the center to the nearest singularity. The closest singularity is at z=0, so the radius of convergence is R=1 centered at z=1. To write the formula as a power/Laurent series, we can use long division to get the terms of the series, but it would be a tedious calculation.
Pyroadept

Homework Statement

Find the radius of convergence of the Taylor series at z = 1 of the function:

[itex]\frac{1}{e^{z}-1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi everyone,

Here's what I've done so far.

Multiply top and bottom by minus 1 to get:

-1/(1-e^z)

And then this is the expansion of an infinite geometric series:

1/(1-z) = Ʃ(z^n)

Then use the formula 1/R = lim sup (nth root of absolute value of a_n)

where here a_n is constant, 1.

So then you will get that the lim sup of this is 1.

So then R = 1.

However, I don't like this solution as I think that geometric formula only applies if |z|<1, which is not the case for e^z.
I am a bit stuck as to how else to write out the Taylor series though. And how do I make use of the fact z=1? Does that mean I have to write out a Taylor series in the form Ʃa_n.(z-1)^n?

I'd really appreciate if someone could please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find the radius of convergence of the series of the form [itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n (z-1)^n[/itex], yes. Don't bother looking at the series itself though. Just use the fact that the radius of convergence of a Taylor series is just the distance from its center to the nearest singularity. Where are the singularities of [itex]\frac{1}{e^z - 1}[/itex]?

Thanks for your reply!

Ah. So the singularity would be at z=0 then?
So the distance from z=0 to z=1 would be 1, so the radius of convergence is then R=1 centered at the point z=1?

Also, just out of interest, how exactly would you write that formula as a power/Laurent series?

Pyroadept said:
Thanks for your reply!

Ah. So the singularity would be at z=0 then?

That's the closest singularity, yes. But for future reference, remember that there are also other singularities at [itex]2\pi ik[/itex] for every [itex]k\in \mathbb{Z}[/itex].

So the distance from z=0 to z=1 would be 1, so the radius of convergence is then R=1 centered at the point z=1?

Yep. You got it!

Also, just out of interest, how exactly would you write that formula as a power/Laurent series?

It's easy enough to find the Taylor series of [itex]e^z - 1[/itex] directly, and then you can just use long division to get the terms of the Taylor series for [itex]\frac{1}{e^z-1}[/itex]. It's a pretty tedious calculation though.

Citan Uzuki said:
It's easy enough to find the Taylor series of [itex]e^z - 1[/itex] directly, and then you can just use long division to get the terms of the Taylor series for [itex]\frac{1}{e^z-1}[/itex]. It's a pretty tedious calculation though.

If you restrict values of z so that ##\left|\frac{1}{e^z}\right| < 1##,

##
\begin{eqnarray*}
\displaystyle \frac{1}{e^z - 1} &=& \left(\frac{1}{e^z}\right)\left(\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{e^z}}\right)\\
&=& \left(\frac{1}{e^z}\right) \cdot \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{e^z}\right)^n\\
&=& \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \left(\frac{1}{e^z}\right)^{n+1}\\
&=& \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (e^z)^{-n-1}\\
&=& \sum_{n=-\infty}^{0} (e^z)^{n-1}\\
&=& \sum_{n=-\infty}^{-1} (e^z)^n
\end{eqnarray*}
##

Edit: I just realized this isn't in power series form, you need a ##(z-a)^n##.. I'll leave this here because it's a good technique anyway. Yeah, it would be tough to put it into power series form.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it :)

1. What is a Taylor series in complex analysis?

A Taylor series in complex analysis is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of polynomials. It is used to approximate a complex function around a given point by using its derivatives at that point.

2. What is the radius of convergence of a Taylor series?

The radius of convergence of a Taylor series is the maximum distance from the center point at which the series converges. It determines the region in the complex plane where the Taylor series represents the original function.

3. How is the radius of convergence of a Taylor series calculated?

The radius of convergence of a Taylor series can be calculated using the ratio test, where the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in the series is taken. If this limit is less than 1, the series converges and the radius of convergence is equal to the distance from the center point to the nearest singularity. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges and the radius of convergence is 0.

4. Can the radius of convergence of a Taylor series be infinite?

Yes, the radius of convergence of a Taylor series can be infinite, which means that the series converges for all complex numbers. This occurs when the function being approximated is an entire function, meaning it has no singularities in the complex plane.

5. What is the significance of the radius of convergence in complex analysis?

The radius of convergence is important in complex analysis because it determines the region where the Taylor series accurately represents the original function. It also provides information about the behavior of the function at points outside the radius of convergence, such as whether it has singularities or is analytic.