1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complete and Net Ionic Equations

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An aqueous solution of chromium(III) iodide is mixed with an aqueous solution of lead(II) nitrate

(a) Write the molecular equation for this reaction
    (b) Write a complete ionic equation for this reaction
    (c)If this reaction occurs, write the net ionic equation

I'm kinda lost on how to balance the complete and net ionic equations, this is what I've done so far:

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) 2CrI3 (aq) + 3Pb(NO3)2 (aq) -----> 2Cr(NO3)3 (aq) + 3PbI2 (s)

(b) 2(Cr)3+ (aq) + 6(I)- (aq) + 3(Pb)2+ (aq) + 6(NO3)- -----> 3PbI2 (s) + 2(Cr)3+ (aq) + 6(NO3)- (aq)

(c) 3(Pb)2+ (aq) + 6(I)- (aq) -----> 3PbI2 (s)
    and if i divide all the coefficients by 3 then the cofficients are 1,2,1

I'm just sort of lost on writing the complete balance ionic equation. I would greatly appreciate someone looking over my work and tell me where I've gone wrong, thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2
    I don't see anything wrong. The reduced equation in c) is exactly the normal production of lead(II) iodide from ions, so it is a good thing to reduce to.

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Please note: you can format your equations using subscripts and superscripts. You can use X2 and X2 icons in the advanced editor, or [noparse] and [/noparse] tags.

For example

[noparse]NO3-[/noparse]

is displayed as

NO3-.

5. Mar 1, 2012 #4
    Thanks a lot guys, Borek I'll keep that in mind in the future thank you and Dchair thanks for looking over my work

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook