1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding balanced net ionic equation of reaction with three reactants

1. May 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write a balanced net ionic equation for the following chemical reaction

2. Relevant equations

Cr[itex]^{3+}[/itex] + ___NH3 (aq) + ____H2O (l) → Cr(OH)3 (s) + ___NH4[itex]^{+}[/itex] (aq)

3. The attempt at a solution

The balanced molecular equation is

Cr[itex]^{3+}[/itex] + 3 NH3 (aq) + 3 H2O (l) → Cr(OH)3 (s) + 3 NH4[itex]^{+}[/itex] (aq)

I'm not sure what type of reaction this is. Consequently, I don't know how to go about finding the net ionic equation. I can write net ionic equations for precipitation reactions with only two reactants, those aren't hard, but I'm a bit lost on the type presented above.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Type of the reaction doesn't matter, there are simple rules to follow when writing net ionic equation. Actually there is one rule - remove all spectators.

And that's the correct answer.

Please note - it is better to not mix normal text and LaTeX for formatting. Instead of writing [noparse]Cr[itеx]^{3+}[/itеx][/noparse] (which yields Cr[itex]^{3+}[/itex]) write [noparse]Cr3+[/noparse] (which yields Cr3+).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook